Den meetings and ADL

the nice thing about having others in the planning process is that you can have other ideas for things to do. it also helps if something comes up at the last minute and you cannot make it - theres someone who already knows what needs to be done.

The past two years I have planned all the den meetings myself, even the ones I wasn't able to be there! I just lef the meeting plan with my ADL and he handled it.

This year, we're moving up the ladder to Webelos. I have already turned over a couple meetings to my ADL... catapult building (he suggested a punkin' tossing contest with it) and car maintenance. We're having a meeting over the next week to go over when we're doing certain things, and I'll try to include our den chief. I've emailed the DC to let him know what he needs to be prepared for on Sunday... gathering activity, a fair way for the Webs to choose a den emblem and den name, a game or two. The ADL and I will be meeting with the parents to go over what's different about Webelos.

I didn't mind planning everything myself, but there were times when I wished there was another head there to help me out. DEFINITELY include others in the planning!

EL

I was a den leader for four years for my son's den (Wolf, Bear, Webelos) and had the same assistent the whole time. We usually corroborated well on what the meetings would be like. Most of the time, she would plan the gathering activity and we'd trade off on the main theme. Definitely follow the den meeting agenda as described in fast start training and the Cub Leader Handbook. You can assign certain parts to your assistant. Definitely keep your assistant in the loop and agree on what the program will be. You want your assistant to have a stake in the program. We usually had a short call a couple days before the meeting and discussed what we were going to do and who would buy any needed supplies etc.

SWScouter