Changing CO..... is it complicated?

Hiya.

A vote was taken by the Pack committee to change CO. Our current CO is "less than cooperative" with accomodating our meetings, and has changed the locks on the doors and not notified anyone from the Pack. We can no longer get into the building to get our stuff for Scout Sign-up Night, and we don't have a place to hold aforementioned sign-ups because the CO won't meet with us to review our schedule.

So, without any further information.... have any of you actually gone through the process of changing CO's? Who owns all the Pack equipment, the parents who raised the money to buy it or the CO? And does that extend to the Pack treasury as well?

I'm not the CC (nor do I play one on TV), just a lowly den leader and concerned parent.

YIS,

EL

You're probably not going to like the answer. Technically, you can't "vote to change CO". The Charter agreement is between the Council and the CO. Pack Leaders are not a party to that agreement. You can only act as individuals. If you want to leave, you need to resign - individually - and then form a new unit somewhere else. Yes, all of the Pack property and funds belong to the CO, as does the unit number. It is up to the CO how much of it you get to take with you. Contact your DE for assistance. Perhaps he/she can act as a negotiator for you. But be forewarned that the DE's job is to make sure that the unit survives, at least on paper, so you may not get much assistance there.

Rather, it sounds like the chartered organization voted to discontinue Scouting as part of their programs for youth. The Scout leaders are now out of a job. Another good reason to maintain good communication with the CO. This seems to happen when the Scout leaders look at the pack as a separate entity from the CO, and view the CO as simply a place to hold meetings. New Leader Essentials training has a bit on the relationship with the chartered organization.

If your CO no longer wants the responsibility, and is willing to step aside and let another organization take over the partnership with the Council, yes, it would be easy. You need to meet with the CO head, and representative, and discuss your concerns. Maybe letting you find another Co is the way they want to go, you'll never know unless you try.

EL,

Greetings!

I have been Scouting for a few years, since I was a youth till now, my middle child and oldest son graduating from High School this year. Additionally, I have moved across the U.S. and resided in a few Councils and Districts during these years. I have been involved with just a few units that have had to seek other Chartering Organizations, and have had fellow Scouting friends who have had to do the same.

I've seen it based on disagreements, inadequate facilities, and finally legal. Our legal disagreement was over a residential charter. A residential members community center had it in their documentation that over 75 percent of any organizations/clubs had to reside within that residential community. We had best Troop for a few miles, and because of that, we had less than 50 percent of our youth were from the community neighborhood. Bottom line, we were told to move by recharter time.

It is unfortunate when a Unit Committee and Chartering Organization fail to have similar ideals and goals, and when their communications finally break down. But it has happened more than once and your situation is not the first time it has happened.

If communications and agreements have deterioate so far, the CO have usually been more than welcoming to release the Charter (to include equipment and monies)

To answer your question.. Yes. The CO owns the Pack and all materials. Without my library infront of me right now, I do believe the Chartering Organization owns the charter, unit equipment, and finances. The CO trust the committee to handle the equipment and finances wisely, and to the benefit of the youth.

My recommendation would be to inform your Unit Commissioner and District Executive. Both the UC and DE would prefer to apply a band aid to the issue. This may or may not work, so I'd caution the committee to be absolutely sure of what they desire. Then the next step would be a request (not informing but request) It would be to the Chartering Org, requesting them to release the Charter, equipment and finances.

I could only imagine a CO would decline if the equipment was mutual such as a CO purchased vehicle, trailer or storage shed. However a CO would have little use for Scout flags and pine wood derby tracks.

Hope this helps..

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Type a letter saying that the CO relinquishes the charter and unit number. Take it to the Institutional head , ask him to sign it. Now go find a new sponsor.

Its that easy.

As for the equipment and funds, they do not automatically belong to the CO. Let me repeat it so everyone understand. They DO NOT automatically own the funds or equipment. It all hinges on the state you live in and its property laws. The statement that they own the funds and equipment is another great scouting urban legand

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Our Cubmaster and a few of the Pack Committee spoke with our DE, he pointed us in a similar direction to what has been stated here. Our CO seemed to be... relieved, I guess... that we wanted to leave. We get our gear, and we're off!

Now for the paperwork of a new charter... fun times!

EL