9/11 den meeting

Our first den meeting for my second-year Webelos happens to be scheduled for tomorrow, 9/11. Anyone have any great ideas to commemorate this special, historical, day? All I can come up with is a moment of silence before we move on to something like our regular den meeting topics. I don't want to dwell on the subject, but I don't want it to go unrecognized, either. I could have the boys make cards or something, but where would we send them?

Thanks for any input.

I've been told that it is also patriot day in honor of the 9/11 tragidy. Perhaps doing a flag ceremony or even putting an emphasis on discussing duty to God and country. You could even get some diversity stuff in there. Of course beings as they are young, you have to be careful.

My son decided to have his Eagle court of honor on 9/11 last year. He wanted to turn the day into a positive day!

Mama Bear

The toughest aspect is that it is likely most of the kids remember none of it. They were in kindergarten. I asked my youngest now a first year Boy Scout, if he remembers any of it and he surprised me when he said no.

I like the idea of a brief discussion on duty to God and country. Last March, at the crossover ceremony, I (Pack Chair at the time) said a few words along the lines of this:

"I see our Tigers and I look at these boys about to leave Cub Scouts. Parents it's amazing how fast the time goes by. I remember the night most of you joined Scouts. We met over in the cafeteria and you joined Tigers. That night you and your parents first heard about duty to God, Country and yourself. It was September 10th, 2001, and little did we know how much our concepts of duty to God and Country would change scarcely 12 hours later in New York and Washington and Pennsylvania."