The WL Training Award requires one year of tenure as a Webelos Den Leader.

By definition, being the WA doesn't meet that.

Of course, there is an open question, not addressed above. Is there actually any issue should a pack elect to approve 2 folks being registered as WL's rather than registering 1 WL and 1 WA. Not my pack, not my call, but I'm not seeing that being a significant issue.

If that's an issue though, I'm quite certain the two leaders could, at least in theory, work well enough together to switch registration roles after one year, though the second server as WL may end up with the pack longer than way, since most Webelos Scouts dens don't function a full two years, and leaders tend to move onw hen leads move onward.

Is there actually any issue should a pack elect to approve 2 folks being registered as WL's rather than registering 1 WL and 1 WA.

It should not be an issue if each WL is responsible for leading a specific group of boys.

"Co-Den Leader" arrangements can be problematic and sometimes do not work very well.  In the end, one of the co-den leaders will become the "lead" and the other the "assistant".  From an ethical standpoint, if one of the co-leaders is really doing the work of an "assistant" then he/she should not apply for the Webelos Den Leader Award.

We have a similar issue in our Pack.  Right now we have 3 Bear Den Leaders but only one Bear Den of 21 boys (we grew fast overnight).  Our immediate plan is to divide these boys into 3 groups with each DL responsible for one group.  We're thankful that 3 men have stepped up to volunteer as DL's, but we want to avoid the trap of creating a "co-den leader" scenario that will only frustrate rather than help.

When I train new Cub leaders, I always urge them to register as a den leader, not an assistant. This way, they get a copy of the program helps in their Scouter magazine.

fgoodwin,

That was not my experience.  Last year, I was registered as an Assistant Den Leader and I received the the "program helps" in the Scouting magazine. 

When you urge them to all register as DL's, do they all work together as co-Den Leaders or do some of them assume the ADL position?

--Jeff

Jeff:

Maybe Scouting has changed its policy.

When I was an ass't DL back in 2000-2001, I didn't get the Program Helps, and I didn't get them as CC. I did get them as WDL (2003-2005).

I can't say how they actually implement the DL position; I just make the suggestion to ensure they get the Program Helps.