Alternate Den Meeting Locations

Typically, all of our dens meet at the CO but lately they've been putting the squeeze on us. Basically, they rent out the main room for revenue generation and when it comes to turning away paying customers or the Scouts, guess which one wins?

Anyway, I'd like some suggestions of alternate meeting places outside of the CO and how they work out for your Pack. Leaders homes? Schools?

thanks,

Mark

Committee Chair

The packs I've been involved with have traditionally held their den meetings in the den leaders home. We would also do field trips to other places like forest preserves, fire stations, libraries, etc..

Our dens always meet at the elementary school for den and pack meetings. We are sponsored by the PTA of the school. We have to submit date requests and sign a contract, but, there is no fee involved.

It is nice to have the space to do large group activities.

This is third hand coming from me, but...

I once heard of a Tiger Den that held its meeting at a Starbucks. The adults all ordered a Latte, etc., they pushed the tables together, had an opening, did a craft, some Scout stuff, a closing, pushed the tables back and left in 30 minutes; all to the amusement of the staff and the few customers. They reportedly picked the SLOW part of the afternoon, checked out with the manager before hand. (("just so everybody buys something..."))

When my wife and I did Tigers and Wolves, we made it a point to try and go to "exotic " places on occasion, having a meeting at a picnic ground or even at the fire house (with advance planning) rather than just our dining room or porch. (not counting "field trips").

Be open to new possibilities!

YiS

When I was a DL, I had the meetings at my house. My younger son's DL now has it at the library in a meeting room. Again, you have to schedule the whole year in advance. My older son's DL had the meetings at his house as well. Kind of nice to have it at home, that way if you forget something, you are at home already.

Although most of our dens meet at our CO, we have had some who prefer to meet at their homes for one reason or another. It seems to work out well for them.

Check out community rooms at your library, park district & police/fire stations.

Also, try working with your CO on your meeting area. If they can let you know far enough in advance that the room will be used, you can shedule your meeting elsewhere, or do an outing on that particular day.

Hopefully they are not just calling you the day before to say the room is unavailable. That would be just down right rude. If that is the case, you might have to remind them that part of what they agree to as a CO is to provide meeting space.

Mark,

Are you a member of a church or civic organization? If so, ask them if you can use their facilities. As a member, you should have some pull as they should know you and have a good level of trust.

My church opened their doors to our Pack for many years and they were not the CO. Now, because of the long relationship, they recently became our new chartering organization.

Because of the ACLU, the elementary schools in our city could no longer serve as CO's. They did provide us a meeting place under "equal access" rules, but the restrictions were too prohibitive to continue working with them.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to discuss it with our den leaders next to get their input.

We do schedule months in advance but we catch lots of grief sometimes for using the facilities "too much". But I think having den meetings off-site won't be such a bad thing and will keep everyone happy.

We are growing fast and hope we don't outgrow our CO! Then my next thread will be "Finding a new CO"