Webelos Woods

Hi,

Our council has just reinstitued Webelos Woods as the main fall campout for Webelos, instead of camping with Boy Scouts at Camporee. My understanding is Webelos Woods is Webelo den camping, not family camping. They changed Camporee as well.

Anyway the information I have received lists a 5 - 1 ratio of boys to adults. Not 1-1 like Camporee used to be. My den has done some family camping as Wolf and Bear, and they are familiar with the camp.

Opinions... ok to go with the 5-1 ratio, or should I require a parent? Or leave it up to the parents?

The days when I could pull an all nighter are long gone...

The 5-1 ratio is your "worst" case scenario. It's in the materials to allow dens who can't get every parent to camp to still attend.

The Cub Scout Leader book says that Webelos den camping is conducted with every Scout responsible to an adult. That adult can be an accompanying parent, or it can be another adult, who the Scout's parents have asked to be responsible for their son. The "responsible adult" should not be the den leader, but another parent on the camp out.

Thanks. I was counting myself as the den leader in the 5-1 ratio. That makes more sense that I am not directly responsible to a group of kids. I like the idea of setting it up like the buddy system... with one adult as the buddy for a couple of kids. Good reinforcement for what we used at Day Camp.

We encouraged all the parents to come to our webelos woods, but if someone could not make it, then the boy could still come.

In our den we had 6 of the 8 scouts bring their parent. The district made it a Webelos only event. No sisters or younger brothers.

It allowed for the webelos to interact and do activities with the boy scouts and the parents of the webelos who attended also got to see how boy scout "boy led" program was run. Also a chance to talk with the Boy Scout leaders. It was an eye-opener for many of our parents.

From BSA's Webelos-Ree (current name for Webelos Woods) info -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-238/scope.html

"The local council sets the Webelos Scout-adult ratio for the event. In most cases, a parent or guardian will accompany each boy. In all cases, a responsible adult will be designated for each youth participant."

That means that if your council has set the ratio at 5-1, there has to be at LEAST 1 adult for every 5 scouts. You can have more adults, but not less. Usually there is also a minimum of 2 adults to satisfy the 2-deep YP rules. National Stardards for Council-Organized Family Camps are what is usually used.

Den camping on your own is a bit different than den camping at a council event. Camping on your own, the den leader is responsible for the entire campout - program, site, food, equipment, etc. That is why it is a good idea for the den leader not to be in charge of boys other than their own. They simply have to much other stuff to attend to. Camping at a council event however, the council handles all of that. Council provides food, staff, program and just about everything else. The den adults are only responsible for only their Webelos & a den leader can be responsible for more than just their own boy.

"Parent or Guardian Responsibilities -

The participation of the parent or guardian is critical to the Webelos Scout's safety and well-being. In most cases, a parent or guardian will accompany each boy. In all cases, a responsible adult will be designated for each youth participant and must be present at the Webelos-ree at all times. Taking part in the various activities, events, and stations provides an opportunity for the Webelos Scout and his parent or guardian to spend quality time together."

Cubmaster Randy,

Your Webelos Woods sounds like what Camporee used to be in our council. Webelos and a parent camp with a troop to get a taste of the patrol method in Boy Scouts.

From what I understand, (and it is possible that I may have some of this wrong) our Webelos Woods will NOT have any Boy Scout Troops in attendance... only Webelos and parents.

Camporee which had the interaction between Webelos and Troops has changed to Boy Scout ONLY.

I would like to have my boys have the opportunity to see a Troop in action! Have already discussed setting up an additional campout with a troop. I can't help but think that this could hurt crossovers later in the year for some troops.....

WDLMom, it seems your council has not been following National policy on BS Camporees. For a number of years now it has been BSA National policy that Webelos are NOT to camp at or participate in Boy Scout Camporees. Their thinking is that the activities are for Boy Scouts only and are not age appropriate to Webelos Cub Scouts. Webelos can visit & see what goes on, but should not participate.

BSA encourages Webelos dens to camp with Boy Scout Troops at Troop camping events that are planned with the Webelos needs (& CUB YP & CUB G2SS) rules in mind. Joint Webelos den / BS Troop campouts let the Webelos see specific Troops in "action" and strengthens the ties between the Troop & the Pack.

If it is to much trouble for your local BS Troop to plan a campout for your Webelos then maybe that Troop is not a good fit for your families. Talk to other Troops, I am sure that there are some in your area that would be thrilled to take your Webelos on a campout.

BTW, I am sure that your council is planning on using Boy Scouts as Youth Staff at the Webelos Woods, but the Boys Scouts should NOT participate as campers.

WDL Mom,

My Council has also switched this year to Boy Scouts-only at Camporee, with a separate Webelos Woods for 1st and 2nd year Webelos. I've already been talking to my older son's troop about the fact that my den needs to attend a Boy Scout activity, and I had planned on using Camporee for that. I know we'll get something figured out, but it would have been nice to know sooner, since everybody's schedules fill up quickly, and last Spring, I had already told my Webelos 2 parents to mark their calendars for Camporee. Now I have to tell them to cross off Camporee and add Webelos Woods, along with whatever Boy Scout weekend activity we decide on.

We could use Klondike Derby, in January, as our Boy Scout activity, but that's cutting it a little too close to cross-over for me.

Sounds like my council and Funscout's are falling in with the National Policy then. We got very little notice on the change as well. Our prior Camporee the Webelos participated with the Boy Scouts as well. Though the activites were geared for the Webelos. I believe our "new" Webleos Woods will be staffed with Boy Scouts, but, not necessarily those from our area.

I have already discussed getting a camp out together with a troop. Should be fun. I agree that waiting for Klondike is a little tight with crossovers.

For those who have done Webelos Woods.... do you let the boys tent with their den mates? Or do they still tent with their respective parent? At our other functions it has been tenting only with their parent.

I think the boys would enjoy this, though I may not get any sleep...

As a SM, I have put together a campout for the Webelos II dens of our two "feeder" packs to attend with us in October. This is something that was done with my son's old troop and the pack he was in. This also helps the younger Boy Scouts (since most of our older ones have football or band during the fall) to get some experience with campout planning and leading.

I told the den leaders that a parent needed to come with each Webelos scout (a good way to recruit the parents as well), however, what should the procedure be if a parent cannot/does not want to come. I would hate for the Webelos Scout to miss out on a troop camping opportunity because of the parent's inability to make it to a campout.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Our camporee in September (as well as Klondike) has invited the Webelos to come and observe, but not participate. They will be allowed to do the various activities after the Boy Scout patrols are done, at the discretion of the adults running the event, and they will be allowed to camp within a Troop campsite.

I think that our Klondike and Camporee have always let the Webelos participate. That would be tough, invite kids to come out and not let them play. Like going to a buffet and not being allowed to eat.

I have at least one Webelo, where the parent is physically unable to camp due to a bad back. If they can't find another relative to step in, I would take the kid. Probably assign him to another parent to keep track of.

Though, that would mean that the boys would be tenting together, because that lone scout couldn't tent with any other adult in camp. Opinions on boys this age tenting together??

In regards to our specific campout in October, we are actually cabin camping so the sleeping arrangements by tent aren't an issue.

In general, I don't think there would be an issue with the boys tenting together. My Webelo son did Webelo resident camp this summer and slept with a couple of other Webelos. So, in my opinion, I don't think having the boys stay together is an issue. My son's old troop also went to an all city event called "All Scouts" weekend and the Webelos were allowed to camp one night, and they tented with each other and not their parents.

• 4 weeks later...