August Cross Over, is this okay?

Technically, a boy can "cross over" or join Boy Scouts anytime after he meets eligibility requirements by age, school grade, or AoL. If a Webelos wants to earn his AoL before he crosses over, he needs to stay a Cub until that is completed. Technically, he can earn his AoL before the rest of his Webelos den does, as long as he fulfills all the requirements. Technically, the Pack cannot withhold this award from him, even if he earns it before the rest of his den. So...IF a family was so inclined, a Webelos could earn his Arrow of Light early AND "cross over" early...and no-one could nay-say the process.

SHOULD he? That is a totally different question. Should the entire den cross early? This needs to be determined by the local pack, considering all factors. Would I encourage it? Not generally, but occaisionally there are extenuating circumstances & I feel it should be allowed. One example: We had an LDS Scout with our Cubs through 4th grade. In 5th grade, he had to join the troop in his temple. He wanted to get his AoL with our Pack. He completed all requirements. We certainly had a ceremony for his AoL and cross over.

"He most likely will be a bit lost in Boy Scouts because he is not really prepared." "Preparation for what? There are no prerequisites to join Boy Scouts other than the age/grade requriement. Imposing other requirements is improper."

I am not sure how you get "imposing requirements" out of being "prepared" for Boy Scouts.

One of the 10 Purposes of Cub Scouting is Preparation for Boy Scouts. As I am sure you know, Cub Scouting is VERY different from Boy Scouting. They are 2 completely different programs. Preparation for Boy Scouting is what the Webelos to Scout Transition is all about.

From the BSA National - Webelos to Scout Transition : "By the time Webelos Scouts are ready to cross over, they and their families should be familiar and comfortable with the youth and adult leaders of the troop, their role in the troop and troop activities, and feel excited about beginning this new adventure."

Pargolf stated that the boy is a 4th grade Webelos, but would most likely not participate in any Webelos activities at all, just simply show up for cross-over in February. This is why I stated that he might not be really prepared for Boy Scouts & might feel a bit lost in a program that is so totally different from Cubs. However, that decision is up to the boy, his family, & the BS Troop he wants to join - not the Pack.

Oh Boy, this sounds like a bad idea. Has anyone asked the troop if they'll have these boys?

There is a lot of maturing that goes on during 5th grade, you would be turning these boys into a superden, not a patrol. Then there is the issue of the boys (from other packs) who do cross over in March or April. How are you going to manage that one? From the get-go their peers will be ahead of them, 10 1/2 years old and a first class scout....eagle at 12?

And with all due respect, if these boys are ready for the AOL in August, they got a free ride. What do you think will happen when they move to the troop and are truly expected to complete and satisfy their advancement requirements? This needs to be about what's best for the boys, not what's easiest for the Pack leadership.

Oh Boy, this sounds like a bad idea. Has anyone asked the troop if they'll have these boys?

There is a lot of maturing that goes on during 5th grade, you would be turning these boys into a superden, not a patrol. Then there is the issue of the boys (from other packs) who do cross over in March or April. How are you going to manage that one? From the get-go their peers will be ahead of them, 10 1/2 years old and a first class scout....eagle at 12?

And with all due respect, if these boys are ready for the AOL in August, they got a free ride. What do you think will happen when they move to the troop and are truly expected to complete and satisfy their advancement requirements? This needs to be about what's best for the boys, not what's easiest for the Pack leadership.

"On the other hand, there are some boys who just never really click with the cub program, yet who can't wait to be boy scouts."

That would me when I was a boy.  I dropped out after 3rd grade and waited until I turned 11 to join Boy Scouts.   After I joined, I stayed with the Troop for almost 5 years and had a blast.  I was in Cubs in the early 70's and during this time no camping of any type was allowed for Cubs of any age including Webelos.  I did not like Cub program as it was delivered back then and my Pack and Den were pretty boring.  I don't remember going on any outings or field trips.  They pretty much kept us inside (where boys don't like to be).  Oh yeah, we had a Pinewood Derby, but that was the highlight of the year.  When that was done, nothing to look forward to.