Has anybody participated in, or maybe even helped plan, one of these? If so I'd appreciate a description of the event. What kinds of activities were offered, who taught/staffed the activities, was this a joint troop/pack event or only webelos, did webelos camp as part of the event (and if so, just with their den? or with a troop?), etc. Also how is a webelos-ree any different from a Webelos Woods event?

Any thoughts on what did/did not seem to go over well or work smoothly would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

Lisa'bob

I suppose this is what our district calls the "Webelos Weekend". With appropriate planning (each Troop sponsors some incoming Webs and sponsors an activity. Having Scouts teach and demo to Cubs is always a hit)), we have included (on occasion) an archery range, tomahawk throw (appropriate Range Safety Officers), two man (boy) saw (the cookies cut off make good souvenirs. Watch'em work!! ?Working on a branding iron for marking them? Make sure the saw is sharp and true.), a Whittlin' Chip corner, camp/ tent set up demo with discussion for parents about equipment choices, camp cooking (dutch oven brownies and twisty bread).One time we were able to have a black powder muzzle loader demo. Nature study demo (tree ID, Poison Ivy ID among others), monkey bridge setup w/ pioneering demo, try to include a chance to earn some Webelos pins. Map and compass course, knot tying contest and a fire building contest were included. Tug o' war is always fun. Don't forget the opening and closing ceremonies and some awards to the gung ho troops and Scouts. Camp fire on Saturday night (natch). Skits and a talented SM minute... AND a real bugler adds a lot of color and camp atmosphere.

OH! And PATCHES! Don't forget the patches!

Have Fun! YiS.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

I'm just as curious too, however, at a more detailed level. You see, our District Activities/Service Chair asked me to direct the next Webelos Woods in our District. There was no WW last year, so the institutional memory is gone. If any of you know details about the planning/staffing/financing, etc., of a Webelos Woods, Webelos-Ree, what-have-you, I would appreciate your input. Send me a PM if you want to send me planning outlines. I'm going to get lots of help, and definitely from the Boy Scout side.

YiS,

watercub

I used to be a Bear...

92-50

Watercub - did you read the resource at the National website? It is really rather extensive, including program, staffing, planning & even includes sample schedules. As for financing, it would not be much different from any other District event. You need to find out from your DE how much your District is willing to budget & go from there. Anything that you can get donated is a plus.

Are folks doing Webelos Woods anymore? I had thought something like that might be a lot of fun, even on a very small scale. Perhaps Webelos from 2 or 3 Packs working with Boy Scouts from 2 or 3 Troops. It would be a great way for the Troop to recruit - in a natural setting! Does this need to be a district activity, or do you think it could work as a mini-Webelos Weekend? I know we couldn't have shooting sports w/o it being district- or council- organized, but there's still plenty that could be planned.

clyde

The next council over from us still does Webelos Woods. Nobody that I'm aware of near where I live is doing a webelos-ree at this time, but it is something that is beginning to be tossed around. Clyde, I like the idea of local troops working together to host their own mini-weekend. But I'm not sure if they'll be willing? Competition for recruits, and all. It is something I'm planning to start inquiring about among local troops though, as I think it would take a while for our district to pull something like this off.

Lisa'bob

Our council is doing Webelos Woods for the first time in several years. It's being touted as a "Camporee just for Webelos."

I'm excited about it, but I also worry that some of my webelos' parents will be unwilling to send them to BOTH Webelos Woods and Camporee. Both events are in the fall, and many of my webelos will be in soccer or football. Attending both events would mean missing 2 weekends of their sport.

If it is a choice between Webelos Woods (Webelos-ree) and Camporee, tell your Webelos parents to choose Webelos Woods.

Webelos Woods are specifically aimed at Webelos Scouts. A Camporee, while it might be interesting to see the Troops in action, is for Boy Scouts, NOT Webelos. Webelos should only be watching NOT participating or camping.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Lisabob - I agree about the problem with waiting for Council to get anything set-up. Besides I'm afraid if I bring it up, I'll be defaulted into position of Event Chairperson! As far as I've ever heard, this would be a new undertaking in our District. If it HAS been done before, it's been a long time for us also.

I have a good relationship with Webelos leaders in 2 other local Packs. I think together we could each secure a Troop to work with us in planning something like a Webelos Woods. That would mean 3 Packs and 3 Troops. Sounds like we ought to be able to pull it off! We'd be looking at next fall anyway - plenty of time :-)

I thought the link that ScoutNut provided was excellent - just what we'll need when we really start hashing out details. If ours is successful, maybe it could become a district-wide event, perhaps every 2 years or so. Having such a big event like this yearly would probably be overkill, especially since Webelos are in for 18 months at least. No need for a been-there, done-there attitude, such as what creeps in with Day Camp by this stage of Cubs.

clyde

I also like the information that was on the Webelos-o-ree site. I may add some items from that to our WW.

We do ours yearly in the spring after our Webelos II have crossed over. We invite the Webelos I's and occasionally a there are some Webelos II, who need a troop activity.

We invite all the troops from our distict and out of 13 troops we had 8 particiapte this past year. We are aiming for 100% particiaption, but that may be not realistic.

Our Webelos Woods is a 2 day camping expeirnece exclusively for Webelos Scouts to experience camping in a manner similar to Boy Scout Troops and Patrols. The weekend program is focused on providing opportunities for Patrol-style activities, team building, and leadership experiences. Troop Leaders meet during the activity periods with the parents of the Webelos Scouts when the Webelos while at the station

Schedule Outline:

Friday afternoon/evening - Webelos Dens to arrive and check in

Friday night campout by Dens

Saturday Project X Patrol Challenge Course

Saturday Evening Council Campfire

Saturday night campout

Sunday Scouts Own Service, departure

Activities

The Saturday program is built around the Project X Patrol Challenge Course. X stands for the unknown, and the Webelos Dens will attempt to figure out and overcome a number of obstacles and puzzles. Each situation will test the Scouts ability to work together as a team. Each scout will have the opportunity and challenge of leading his Den/Patrol in working on an activity. We also allowed troops to come up with "scout skills" actiivity if they chose to.

The Project X activities are constructed, staffed, supervised, and refereed by Boy Scouts from our District Troops. This provides a leadership challenge to the Boy Scout Staff members, as well as the opportunity for constant interaction between the Boy Scouts and Webelos Scouts.

Leadership and Staffing

Each participating den must be accompanied by at least 2 adults. Den Chiefs are encouraged to attend with their dens.

Boy Scouts, opersting with the support of their Troop leadership, will manage the challenge course activities.

Additional Boy Scout staff members may serve in the role of Encampment SPL, ASPL, service patrol members, or special assignments as needed.

Participating Troops must provide adequate 2-deep leadership for their participating scout staff members.

Unit Commitments

Packs

Unit leaders should encourage the participation of all 4th grade Webelos Scouts.

Webelos Woods can be planned on as a leadership training activity and an exercise in outdoor and camping skills development.

Webelos Den Leaders should work with their Scouts in the weeks prior to Webelos Woods to teach the Scouts how to develop camping supply check lists, and patrol-style food plans.

Troops

Boy Scout Troops will be asked to support Webelos Woods by producing and staffing activities for the Project X Patrol Challenge Course.

Troop leaders should encourage participation by their scouts in serving as leaders of the various activities on the Challenge Course.

With appropriate prior planning, Scout service at Webelos Woods can be an effective leadership and team bulding learning exercise for Patrols and Troops.