Bobcat/Tiger Question

Hello all!

I am going to be the Tiger Leader in my son's pack this fall. I volunteered as an assistant Bear Leader last year but I have no experience with 1st grade boy's. Now that the tiger age boy's are to earn their Bobcat rank first I am curious... as the Tiger Leader do I merely record the boys progress towards Bobcat or do they need to recite the promise, motto etc. at a den meeting? I remember having to recite them as a second grader in the 70's, but somehow I just dont know if that is how this would be handled for this age group. My son has completed all of his bobcat requirements and knows them quite well in the comfort of his own home. But if some guy or gal new to him were to ask him the cub scout motto I am not sure he could get it out. This of course is a question that I could ask at the next round table but I have learned a lot from these forums and thought I would ask. Thanks in advance!

James

We usually have the boys start their den meetings by reciting the promise and the motto. Most of the boys are very capable of learning them, especially with enough repetition, and are able to say them entirely solo. You could just take the parents' word that the boy has learned them, but my experience is that the boys are proud to show that they've learned them, and that actually expecting them to do their best and memorize them works out well. I think every Tiger in our pack has said the promise and law at a den meeting. Granted, it will be a bit earlier in the year this time, but that's where I'd start. I still think they'll be able to do it.

Oak Tree

I agree with Oak Tree - this is something the boys can and (I think) should do both at home and in den meetings. Keep in mind, James, that you aren't going to be some random adult to these guys for very long - you're their den leader! They'll likely warm up to you pretty quickly.

I would, though, keep the recitation part short and sweet and maybe let them do it in a group (at least for a while). Call and response works pretty well at first with these little guys too.

Once they get it - maybe the pack meeting where they'll get their Bobcat badges you can arrange for the den to lead the flag ceremony or something too.

Lisa'bob

Hello, My husband was the Tiger Roundtable Leader just 2 years ago and unless things have changed a whole lot since he was involved the Tigers learn the Tiger motto at the begining of the year and the Bobcat is what they earn at the end just before bridging to Wolf. In the current book will have the info needed and the roundtable will have real hands on info.

Pam,

You know the good ole BSA - always changing something - this time it is the Tiger/Bobcat progression. Starting with this year's Tigers, the new word is, they will be earning the Bobcat prior to the Tiger rank (just like new cubs at any other rank must earn the Bobcat first).

Lisa'bob

LB,

I don't want to sound like the AP (*Advancement Police)but do you have a 2006 Cub Scout Leader Book? My 2005 CSLB, page 19-6 under the Bobcat Badge section, "Before becoming a Wolf Cub Scout, a boy must complete the Bobcat requirements." and "No matter what age or grade a boy joins Cub Scouting, he must earn his Bobcat badge before he can be awarded the rank of Wolf, Bear, or Webelos." There may have been a change, so I wanted to know what you were siting for reference. I may need a new book.

Thanks,

FB

It is a blurb (" note, as of 06/01/06, etc, etc, etc") in the new Cub Scout Leader Book. I don't know the copyright date or edition, but it has been out for a while. It is also mentioned in the Tiger Cub Scout Fast Start & was mentioned in the News Briefs section of the May-June 2006 issue of Scouting magazine.

I believe the BSA is not quite up to date on what is really age appropriate. for most beginning 1st grade boys.I happen to teach that level. I remember the importance and how hard it was was those new boys just to get their own motto and stuff. It takes time and maturity not only to understand and know the Cub Scout stuff and be bold enough to recite in front of a crowd. I feel we are expecting to much to quick or maybe they will just skim over the importance because we are expecting to much to soon for such a young group.Some boys will not have any problems but for some just beginning to read it will be more of a challenge. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

"But if some guy or gal new to him were to ask him the cub scout motto I am not sure he could get it out."

This can happen and has happened to me as a Den leader.  The boys earn their Bobcat because they were able to recite the cub scout promise at a certain point in time.  However, they can forget parts of it soon after earning the Bobcat.  One thing I started doing is have the boys recite the promise at every den meeting so "practice makes perfect".  Repitition will make it stick. 

Cub Scouts is not like school, or it should not be.

Tigers is not the boys standing up in front of the whole Pack reciting things. That is not even necessary to earn the Bobcat. Tigers work TOGETHER with their Partners inside & OUTSIDE of weekly den meetings.

Bobcat does not have to (& should not) be earned in 1 meeting. It takes time.

Every time the Tiger Teams get together, weather for a den meeting or an outing, they should start their activity with the Promise, Law & Sign. Doing this as a part of a living circle is fun for the boys & adds a bit of ceremony. They can start by reciting it (Tigers & Partners TOGETHER) after the den leader (no reading necessary). At the end of every Tiger Team activity they can end with the Tiger Teams doing the Handshake & reciting the Motto (can recite it after the leader, but it is easy enough to remember).

In 1 or 2 months, after discussing some the meanings in den meetings & reinforcing by the Tiger Partner at home, the boys should have their Bobcat requirements done. They really are NOT hard, even for 1st graders, especially if they are made FUN!

I will be my son's Tiger Den leader in the fall as well. I purchased a regular bound Tiger Cub handbook earlier this summer and gave it to him for his birthday last week. After our last Pack Overnighter in June, the CM and last year's Tiger DL asked if I would be interested in taking on the challenge -- ABSOLUTELY and I got the CSLG, Program Helps 06-07, found this forum and other CS/BSA sites and started reading.

Based on info I saw in another thread I also purchased the coil bound version of the Tiger Cub handbook today. The Bobcat info has been moved to the front of the book and there are a few other small changes.

My question (and that of another Dad that I talked to at our July Pack activity this past weekend) is can the Tigers get the Tiger immediate recognition emblem before the Bobcat badge? My reasoning for this is that the requirements for the Tiger emblem are items 4, 5 and 6 on the Bobcat trail. Also the various trails/tracking pages in the back of the handbook do have the recognition emblem listed first, then the Bobcat badge, then the Tiger Cub badge trail and the Tiger Track trail.

A second related question is, since all Scouts in the Pack need to get the Bobcat badge, does it make sense to have a temporary Bobcat den? Is this practical, not worth it, totally outside the aims of the program?

Just trying to make sense of it all and give my son and the other Tigers the best program possible.

John

OK, my take on the Tiger Paw Print Emblem - Bobcat is the FIRST award they earn & think National kind of forgot about the Tigers earning their Paw Print because none of the other levels have to earn theirs. They can not put any beads on the emblem until after Bobcat anyway, so why not just wait.

I am hoping to have all of my Tigers receive their Bobcat at our end of September Pack meeting. So, basically, the Tigers will participate in 2 ceremonies at our Sept meeting. The first will be Bobcat, which will be a biggie this year with Tigers, Wolfs, & any other new Scouts. The second will be when they receive their Paw Print and any rank beads they have earned.

On a Pack wide temporary Bobcat Den, I would have to say no. There are some Packs out there that do a workshop for an hour or two on one day for all Bobcats. They go around to stations & read off cards or do a craft or puzzle related to the requirements & then are signed off as Bobcats.

The Bobcat requirements are a combination of family & den & should stay that way. I think it means more & stays with the boys better, if the Bobcat requirements are integrated into every Den meeting (for the next 4.5 years!) & practiced/reinforced at home.

A TIGER PROGRAM HINT *** There are 5 main requirement areas & 5 months from Sept thru Jan. Assign a requirement area to each month (Lets Go Outdoors is perfect for Sept or Oct!). At your very first Tiger meeting have each Tiger Team sign up for 1 month & 1 requirement area. This will give you a real good chance of getting most to Tiger by Feb's B&G. Then they will have the rest of the year to work on electives & other stuff!

A REAL fun thing to do at your first meeting is to come up with a Den Cheer/Yell. Have them see how LOUD they can be. It always makes me laugh to see how amazed they are that I actually WANT them to be loud (& their Adult Partners TOO!)!!

Tigers are G-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!

HAVE FUN!!

Thanks for the suggestions ScoutNut. Tiger badges by the B&G sounds like a great goal.

After I posted the Bobcat den question, I thought it through some more and agree with you that it means more if its done in the context of the age appropriate dens and not as a large group.

John