Summertime Pack Award

CCTonya asks - "Its my understanding (and I would love to be wrong), that in order for the dens and individual boys to earn their awards, the pack has to earn the pack award. No pack award, no others. Is this correct?"

Sorry Tonya, but I can't help but reply with - Well DUH!

The dens/boys have to attend 3 activities that the Pack has conducted during the summer. The Pack has to conduct 3 summertime activities.

Is your Pack planning on blowing off it's Aug hike?

Although the award application does NOT specifically state that there has to be 1 event in each of the summer months (June, July, Aug), it does have distinct columns for those months where the info is to be input.

IMHO, without that Aug activity, even though there are 2 in June & 1 in July, everyone is out of luck for the award. The intent is to keep the boys doing Scouting all summer long.

However, your best bet is to ask your DE if your council will accept 2 June, 1 July & no Aug as sufficient for the Summertime Award.

Well, DUH, huh? Ouch.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my explanation of what we were doing. We have no intention of blowing off the August activity.

I was under the (mistaken) impression that we had to have 50% participation within each den in order for that planned event to count toward the award.

Our camping trip next weekend may not get that, so I was concerned that after the extreme effort on my part to plan these activities, we would fall short of the award. (The other leaders in my pack apparently don't care)

Thanks to the others who have clarified that its the mere planning that is required for the award--not the 50% participation. I've certainly done that for 4 activities since June that will span through the entire summer.

As I said when I replied, sorry for the DUH. However, I thought Beagle had made it clear in his post, the day before your last post, that there was no minimum attendance required. Given that, I thought I would inject a bit of humor & try to find out what you were really trying to ask.

Thanks to the others who have clarified that its the mere planning that is required for the award.

The top of the award application states very clearly Cub Scout pack ... has qualified for this award by conducting a pack activity in the summer months of [June, July, and August]. The words plan or planning dont appear anywhere on the application.

Mere planning doesnt meet any requirement. Should a Scout earn an award simply because he planned to do it?

I stand corrected in my choice of words, CC Tonya. If you plan a summertime activity and you and your son (or just your leaders) are the only ones to show up to conduct that activity then you have qualified for that month. What I mean is if you have planned a day hike and were standing at the meeting point ready to go and no boys showed up you still would count that towards the packs activity. You can't make them show up.

Is that better?! :)

Carol