Shooting Sports Belt Loops

Mornin' all!

I'm hoping one of you has the answer to this one.... if Webelos earn Archery or BB Gun belt loops at summer camp, are they considered individual sports loops? One of the requirements for the Sportsman activity pin is to earn 2 individual sports belt loops, but the shooting ones are grouped by themselves?

Sorry if it seems like a "duh!" question, but someone else asked me.......

YIS,

EL

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/webelos/webelos_activity_badge_requirements.asp#Sportsman

"Do These:

1. Show the signals used by officials in one of these sports: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or hockey.

2. Explain what good sportsmanship means.

3. While you are a Webelos Scout, earn Cub Scout Sports belt loops for two individual sports ( badminton, bicycling, bowling, fishing, golf, gymnastics, ice skating, marbles, physical fitness, roller skating, snow ski and board sports, swimming, table tennis, or tennis).

4. While you are a Webelos Scout, earn Cub Scout Sports belt loops for two team sports ( baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, flag football, or ultimate).

Resources: "

AS much as it pains me to say it no it is not one of the specified sports. The boys at the day camp I worked with as range director had a team sport that they did also I think it was flag football. Belt loops are not hard I even did marbles with the whole den during a den meeting when I was WDL. The one of the above that day camps do do regularly is fishing.

Yep.

As a WDL, I had the same "discussion" with my boys and parents once or twice I had to remind them that the requirement is the requirement. Easy enough to play Flag Football one afternoon. It was educational to me to learn the SLIGHT rule differences between Softball and Baseball. A family picnic afternoon got the Softball game done.

Are you having fun yet? YiS.

I'm the program director for our District Day Camp. While making up a list of what the boys may complete at the camp.I wondered if these could count for the Sportsmen. So I called into our Council and asked the Council. The Assistant Scout Executive/Director of Operations told me they are Sports Loops and can be used for the Web requirement,as long as they were earned at a Day Camp. I'd call your Council to check.I know not every council is the same.Give yours a call to make sure.

As a former archery range director at Cub Day Camp I got this question a lot so I checked with various council folks about why these 2 are not listed in the sportsman section. The most logical response I got was that there is a desire not to suggest to any boy or pack leaders that these belt loops be earned anywhere other than at a council or district sponsored event. Listing them along with all the other indiv. belt loops might allow (or "encourage") people to misunderstand and assume that they can just go out and do these two on their own, which of course they may not.

From there: well, I know some packs do count these and others do not. I suppose it is up to you ultimately, but others are right - the book does not include them and that's fairly clear (if a little goofy). Keep in mind when they become boy scouts they'll get a lot of "if it isn't in the requirements it doesn't count" so be cognizant of that, however you end up deciding on this matter.

Lisa'bob