Day Camp...Ask... and they will come...

Our District has earned a reputation for serving up very successful Cub Scout Day Camps, and this past week is now no exception. Takes organizational work? You bet. What is the one thing to which I would point as the biggest reason for our success?

Asking.

*Ask your friends and relations to help. They may be or may have been Scout people. A nurse becomes the Camp medico. A scientist friend becomes the nature pavilion guy ( he was a Star Scout waaaay back when).

*Ask at your Church, Temple, Synagogue. Don't limit your asking to Scout types or Scout venues, but....

*Ask at the Round Table, at the Pinewood Derby, at the Merit Badge Day. Get your Boy Scout helpers, too.

*Ask REI, and they provide a "leave no trace" program.

*Ask the State Police, and their medivac helicopter lands and blows everyones hat off (talk about impressing Cub Scouts!) and talks about search and rescue and umpteen horsepower jet engines...

*Ask the internet and find a local Racing Pigeon Club who take over a pavilion and regale the Cubs with bird stories (who knew it was so interesting?)

*Ask Home Depot and they provide building kits for 250 Cubs AND the personnel

to lead the Cubs in building bird houses and model planes and space shuttle pen holders...

*Ask the fellow you work with and it turns out he knows somebody who has a friend who belongs to a remote control model airplane club. They come and exhibit some super models and FLY loop-de-loops over the Cubs at lunch time.

*Ask the Den Walkers who are milling around in the back ground and lo and behold they are dying to help young archers and fishers and modelers ("didn't know I could...").

*Ask the Park Ranger and by golly everything is fine, he had no idea what was scheduled that week, he's new to this park and gee, it's been a long time but he used to be a Scout and...

*Ask the pilot of the lake boat to act like a pirate when the Cubs ride in her boat ("you mean I can?")

*Ask the local Coffee shop and the manager was an Eagle and how much Joe would you like each morning?

*Ask to local Super Grocery, gift cards good for staff morning donuts...

*Ask the local hardware emporium and get 20% off anything you need. Special Caution tape? have it for you tommorrow...

*Ask the fellow that had the near fatal accident a while back and now he raises parrots that do tricks. Be glad to come out. 15 parrots at a time!

*Ask the company with the eye catching ad in the Sunday paper magazine and wow a 70 foot tall hot air balloon appears one morning on the atheletic field.

**HELP STAMP OUT NOBODY ASKED ME** (motto on a button I got somewhere 20 years ago)

*Ask... and it (and they) will come....

YiS(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Ask-10 more

McDonald's gives coupons for fries or burgers.

Sonic gives coupons for free drinks.

Chick-fa-la gives coupons for sandwiches.

One Hotel gave coupons for one night for each staff person.

One local Backpacking store gave rope, several kiinds and lengths.

A Dollar Store gave balloons.

A Department Store gave plastic stop-watches.

Another Dollar Store gave squirt guns.

A local hospital gave us clean bed sheets that we ripped up and used.

Walmart gave us cups and food.

(50 businesses in all)

FB

And the donations get even bigger when they are followed up with thank you letters and wall hangers. (Just be sure that the person that gave out the free-bee's wants you you to thank his boss)

we supply our SM with BSA thank you pins that he keeps under the flap of his uniform pocket for on the spot thankyou's(This message has been edited by wingnut)

Ask at the local knife shops for some one to do some "whittlin" and you get a crew of totally cool chainsaw carvers who carve 6 wooden statues, The Eagle goes to the Camp director who was supposed to get her beads the next day at camp and is an Eagle (Beading didn't happen, Course Director didn't show), and the others go to staff whose names are drawn from a hat. Plus the Chainsaw guys proved to be "eye candy" for the female staff.

Happened at my camp!!!

Kristi

I used to be an Eagle and I hope to get my beads now that I earned them.

• 3 weeks later...

We bring in a guy with a bounce house on Fridays when we do a carnival. Also, folks we know who have popcorn machines and cotton candy machines. They never charge, so we make sure their kids get to go down to archery and they always leave with a covetted "skull" bead.

We bring in a guy with a bounce house on Fridays when we do a carnival. Also, folks we know who have popcorn machines and cotton candy machines. They never charge, so we make sure their kids get to go down to archery and they always leave with a covetted "skull" bead.