Family Camping Weekend from He**

I thought you folks might like to hear how this situation worked out. Before I "officially" went to our DE, I spoke privately with an individual that I know and respect from our local council. I explaind the sitiation and asked for advice. The advice was to talk to the CM and document the incident for the Pack records.

Well, after we talked, the CM decided to resign. Not because of anything I said - no threats or anything like that- but because he realized he was wrong and he didn't have the nerve to stand up in front of the Pack and tell people he was wrong. Our next camping trip was a few weeks away and I made sure everyone knew the rules. The people who brought the beer haven't shown up to anything since.

Anyway, I will be serving as Cubmaster until February when my son crosses over. My biggest challenge is recruiting someone to take over at that time.

Not the ideal ending to this story, but hopefully things will work out for the best.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Anyway, I will be serving as Cubmaster until February when my son crosses over. My biggest challenge is recruiting someone to take over at that time."

Might I suggest that you stay until the normal program year is over, in May or June. That way, the new guy gets to start up with a fresh program year. Also, no one will be able to say, "That Scoutmom, as soon as her son is done, she's gone like a Bat escaping from Hades."

Ah, the BSA rules on alcohol, civilization at its worst. However, I do abide by the no alcohol rules and only lick the Sterno cans at the end of the day.

It is too bad that Scouters cannot be trusted to have a glass of wine with dinner or a beer at the end of the day. Just like on the roads, the one drink guy isn't the problem but he gets hammered because the rules are written for the lowest common denominator.

Now here's a question for the rule book guys. I can take all sorts of meds if I have a doctor's order to do so. Valium, Quaalude, Prozac, Percodan, Demerol, etc.. What if I have a doctor's order to have a shot of vodka every evening?

I'll probably regret this in the morning, but...

I'd say if it's prescribed by a physician and in a labeled bottle from a pharmacy, then it's okay.

While I'm not a doctor,(and don't play one on the Internet) but I did work in a hospital for a while. The hospital pharmacy kept a bottle of rot-gut on hand which was occasionally prescribed to alcoholics who were in such bad shape that drying out posed a medical risk.

I don't know if there is any other reason to be prescribed alcohol, but if you're so bad an drunk that you need prescription vodka, I think our CO and pack leadership will have a problem with you on the campout anyway.

Alcohol is prohibited because it is a factor in facilitating child abuse. Obviously, not everyone who drinks abuses children. But most abusers use alcohol or drugs as a prelude to abuse. Someone with a propensity for child abuse is much more likely to act on their impulses if they have a few belts onboard.

Sure, I'd like to have a beer sitting around the campfire with the guys (actually a nice single malt and a good cigar, but that's another thread). It would also be nice to share my tent with the homesick Scout or the single-parent Cub who can't go camping otherwise.

But that's not what we signed up for.

When I was a scout, it was not unusual to see the SM and ASMs have a can of beer or two after dinner and my father was one of them. Every scout knew the beer was for the adults and that was it.

I have often thought that rather than have the BSA require us to pretend alchohol doesnt exist, a far more effective role model would be to show that you can have a beer, a glass of wine, that single malt and enjoy it and then stop. That you can drink alchohol and not act stupid.

The problem is, as was pointed out, all it takes is one abuser, one accident, some tragedy where a leader was drinking, and not even to excess and BANG, the whole organization is in it deep.

"I don't know if there is any other reason to be prescribed alcohol"

My endocrinologist recently told me that current research shows that a drink or two a day is proving beneficial for BP control, cholesterol control, and a host of other ailments. Stroke patients have long been told to have a drink a day, usually wine but vodka would probably work as well.

"It would also be nice to share my tent with the homesick Scout or the single-parent Cub who can't go camping otherwise. "

I'd prefer to share my tent with Claudia Schiffer or Heather Locklear. :-)

What about those prescribed medicinal marijuana for Cancer?

It's not a real question, it's just there to illustrate that Yaworski's post (a shot of vodka?) wasn't one either.

It was my understanding heart patients were to seek wine because of the medical benefits of the tannins (sp?) in the beverage in addition to the alcohol, which is a natural blood thinner.

I'm not a doctor, just an exceptional Biology student who reads the news.(This message has been edited by Venturer2002)

Boy, this thread took a big detour. (and personally, I don't care who you share your tent with, but do it on someone else's thread ;o -Joke, that was a joke. Please don't anybody attack!)

I don't plan on staying after February as I have made some commitments at the council level. Everyone in the Pack is aware of that and I am looking forward to moving on. I love Scouting,and working with the boys, but I'm not always so fond of the parents. Sometimes we parents make being a Scouter a difficult job.