Tour Permits, Permission slips, Medical forms, etc.

Im a Den leader assisting the Cubmaster & Pack Committee Chair(both of whom are new in their positions)in setting some guidelines & policies for our Pack on an ongoing basis.

As a side note, I will probably assume the role of Pack Committee Chair in 2 years when the current chairs son bridges to Boy Scouts. I am also an Assistant Scoutmaster with my other sons troop and the troop policies on these items are followed to the letter.

Im interested in hearing from other packs what they are doing and to ensure we are following proper BSA guidelines for Cub Scouts.

Our pack currently does not require scouts or parents to complete a Class 1 medical form. The only time medical forms are required is for district events or council events, like day camp or resident camp.

I am thinking we should require each scout in our pack to submit a completed Class 1 medical for our pack records and have also give copies to the den leaders for their records. I am also thinking that we should have parents do the same, especially since they also attend den meetings, pack events and pack overnighters.

Our pack does not require an Informed Consent Agreement or Permission Slip for any Den or Pack outing. This includes all one day activities and overnighters. The thought has always been that since a parent is accompanying the scout that it is not required. Im thinking we should definitely require an Informed Consent Agreement or Permission Slip for all pack overnighters. Not sure what to do about Den outings.

For Tour Permit Applications, we do not collect driver information (make, model, insurance, etc.) since scouts are usually driven by their parents to the outings. Should we collect from all parent drivers the required information and just keep it on file? For Den outings, whether its at the local firehouse or hiking trail, we are not filing Tour Permits. Not sure whether we should or not.

Any input or feedback is appreciated.

Sounds like you are pretty much right on. Class 1 medical forms are only required for cub scout day camps etc..

Permission slips are probably not necessary if all parents are accompanying their scouts on trips. Driver insurance information is not needed if all parents are transporting their own sons. Travel permits are not needed when traveling locally within council boundaries, but you can always choose to go beyond the minimum. Some councils do require more than what I have stated, so I would enquire with your local council too.

While it is not required, having a Class 1 medical on file, & updated yearly, is not a bad idea. It keeps your medical info up to date & eliminates chasing after the forms when needed. It is easy enough to collect them in the dens, keep a copy in the den & send a copy to the Outings Chair.

As your BALOO trained person will tell you, you should have a permission slip for every youth attending a Pack Overnighter. You should also have a Class 1 for every PERSON at a Pack Overnighter.

For den outings, except for Tigers, all parents usually do not go. I would have to track down my copy of the Den Leader Book, but I do not think permission slips are required by BSA. However, for den outings especially, but also for Pack outings, I think permission slips are a good idea. They give you proof the parents know about & are allowing their child to attend the outing (even if they are along). They also can serve as an official registration for the event, reminder notice for the fridge, & emergency contact info for both the family & the leaders.

For information on Tour Permits, you should contact your council. Each council handles their Local Tour Permits a bit differently. In mine, I do not need a permit if we are only going somewhere in town. Anything beyond that they require a Local Tour Permit. If families are driving on their own, my council does not require license & insurance info. I just have to write on the permit that families are providing their own transportation.

I really don't feel that these are things you need to have written policies about unless your Pack is into by-laws. Simply agree in Committee that this is what will be done & do it. Someone who is handy with Word or a spreadsheet can put together a generic permission slip for use by the Pack & den. At the first Committee meeting of the year, hand a stack of Class 1 medical forms, permission slips, & Local Tour Permits to each of the den leaders in the Pack (new & old) & explain (remind) how/when to use each. After a while it will become habit.

I fill out a permission slip on Kevin even if I am going on an outing. This way if something happens and he wants to ride with someone else all the paper work if there.

We file tour permits for anything that has our troop leaving our meeting place. A couple of reasons. Council knows what we are doing and that we are active. Also in some Councils unless you have filed a tour permit BSA insurance does not cover you. It isn't that hard to do.

Tour Permit is really not much more than some deliberate planning going into an activity. If you don't do it now, it will come as a rude shock when your youth move to the Boy Scout Troop.

Ditto health forms. A Class 1 takes 3 minutes to fill out by the parent. A Class 2 is a simple doctor's check ... if your youth go to the family practicioner or pediatrician every year for a check-up, this is a no-brainer.

A Class 3 is generally for older youth on high adventure, or for old farts like me. ;)

The pack I supervise as a COR has a wonderful guy who understands the rules. There is a book of Class I/II/III data that goes wherever the Pack goes.

Tour Permit is really not much more than some deliberate planning going into an activity. If you don't do it now, it will come as a rude shock when your youth move to the Boy Scout Troop.

Ditto! As a pack leader I tried to get the pack to "play by the rules" regarding paperwork but there were still times when things felt pretty fast and loose or where I had to really cajole to get people to fill out the simplest of forms. What a surprise when we moved on to the troop where paperwork is just par for the course. Why is it that many troops seem to be much better organized on this matter? It really is not that hard...and every time I've had questions our local service center staff has been happy to help on a moment's notice.

Lisa'bob

• 2 weeks later...

Tour permits, permission slips and medical forms are all there of your SELF PROTECTION. Just like two deep leadership and YPT.

Called C Y A. If we are taking our boys off the property we meet we get permission slips.

We keep medical forms in a file that stays with us. For not only the boys but for each adult that goes camping with us.

If you are on an outing with the boys and one gets injured and needs medical care. Parent didn't come and can't be reached that permission slip gives you consent to authorize care. It also lets you know for sure that the parent knows the kid came on the outing.

One troop in our area got a big surprise last year when Dad called the SM looking for little Jimmy. Seems kid wasn't supose to go. Was to spend weekend with a family friend. He went to the outing. Friend called dad at 11 p.m. asking why kid hadn't come over. Troop now gets permission slip.

Tour permits let Council know where you are going. If you put one boy in a car that is not his parents car then you better have insurance information.

If something happens and it is necessary to reach you they know how.

It will take only one time of a kid coming to an outing and mom not knowing he was going to get you in trouble and teach you that as big a pain paper work is. It is a much bigger pain to not do it and need it.

Today I am turning in our tour permit for summer camp. I have a copy of all three drivers insurance information. Our Council doesn't require this but our troop does.

It is sad that we have to think like this. But our society has become so "SUE HAPPY" that you have to look out for #1 first.(This message has been edited by Lynda J)

I just did BALOO earlier this month, so what they told us is fresh in my mind...

This is what I plan on doing four our pack this summer:

-Get a permission slip for every scout who is going, even if the parent is going to be there. This includes my son too, just in case something happens if I am off with another group.

-Get a Class 1 on every person going to our family camping trip. Adults, siblings, etc.

-Get a Class 1 for pack files for all scouts, just to have.

-Have a copy of the Class 1 forms with our pack first aid kit, have a copy at home.

-Anytime we meet somewhere other than our regular meeting place, get a tour permit. I even did this when we did the pinewood derby in my garage up the street from our regular meeting place!

May be seen as overkill, but we are a new pack and I want to put in place a set of procedures that are overly cautious rather than exposing ourselves to risk, plus having those medical forms with us on site will be valuable if we need them in case of emergency. I would rather err on the side of caution.

I like the idea of giving den leaders a copy of the Class 1 forms as well, and will probably do that too.

My .2 cents!

CC Tonya,

I applaud you for using the trip planning process every time you leave the meeting site!!! :) Very, very cool!!!

That said, please call your local Council office, and see what their rules are on issuing Tour Permits from your apps. You do not want to be contemplating cancelling an activity at the last minute because Council hasn't given you a yes to a tour permit, when in fact they decided it didn't need a response back and placed your app in the files!

Your DE should be able to give you some guidance here.

Thanks, John in KC...

I've actually had the tour permit thing drummed into my head by our DE and Council. I suspect it is something they are really focusing on in particular in our area.

Our Council (San Diego-Imperial) has a pretty fast turnaround time, especially if I fax it and ask them to fax back. (The pinewood derby thing was issued in the span of about an hour).

Tonya

Tour permits also gives your Council the ability to make sure that there are trained leaders going on camping trips and outings.

Recently in our Council a troop went camping. Didn't sign in at the rangers post. The ranger went down to check the campsite. Found three adults and 22 boys. Not a single adult had been trained. No tour permit, no medical forms,and no permission slips. The ranger called the Council office, reported them., Their troop on now on probation.