Pin Requirements Question

Do requirements for Academics & Sports Pins have to be completed while the scout is the same rank? For example, can a scout begin some of the requirements while he is a Wolf and complete the remaining requirements while he is a Bear?

The simple answer is yes. The Academic and Sports program suppliments, it does not replace the existing rank advancment program

They can be earned by tigers through webelos. Now if you if it was a belt loop being earned for a webelos activity badge (pin), I would want most of the work to be done as a Webelos, as the the requirment says earn while a Webelos, not work on...just my 2 cents

They may explicitly work on them over the span of their Cub Scout career. If you are looking at some of them you might want to work on, you might get ahold of a Webelos book. I always marked the ones I wanted to work on as Webelos so we didn't have to do the requirements twice - once if we earned it earlier, and then again to work on a Webelos Activity Badge.

I apologize for my post earlier. I meant to say yes you can, but in typing my response, I misread the question (example)as

"Can you work on it over two years?" YES

instead of your question.

"Do you have to complete it while the scout is the same rank?". NO

I'd agree with the previous posts, except as regards Webelos. The requirement to earn a CS Academics belt loop to meet requirements for the Citizen Pin (for example) reads as follows:

"As a Webelos Scout, earn the Cub Scout Academic belt loop for Citizenship..."

I interpret this as meaning that the scout needs to do the belt loop activities during the time that he IS a webelos scout.

If the scout has earned the belt loop at an earlier level, why not keep it fresh and help/challenge him to earn the pin?

Challenging your Webelos to earn the A & S pin is a good idea, but do not forget that the pin does NOT replace the belt loop in the Activity Pin options. They would still have to earn the loop as a Webelos, even if they have earned the same loop while in a different level.