Our pack just started last October, all but one of our Tigers were awarded their rank badge at the last pack meeting. I am going to be planning the last Tiger den meeting before the boys cross over to a wolf den at our next pack meeting. I'd like the boys to work on their bobcat requirements and earn that badge at the that upcoming pack meeting. Although I've mentioned it to parents and put it in a pack newsletter, I've found that many parents don't yet work on advancement at home. (I'm hoping to change that...)

Anyway, I'd like to have some games for the next den meeting to reinforce the bobcat knowledege. (I don't want badges being awarded without the boys really earning them, and I can foresee "social promotion") Any suggestions? I was thinking about maybe hangman where they figure out a word like "Motto" and then tell me what that is and what the cs motto is. But any suggestions you all have would be great.

I'm so glad to have found this resource and have been reading posts for awhie now.

YIS,

Tonya

You should have been reinforcing & practicing most of the Bobcat requirements (Promise, Law, Sign, Salute, Motto, Handshake) throughout the year.

These might make good gathering activities for your meeting -

https://people.creighton.edu/~bjs74318/bluejay/pack114/funpages/bobcat1.html

Here are some games -

https://people.creighton.edu/~bjs74318/bluejay/pack114/library/bobcat-fun.html

Don't forget - Bobcat is NOT complete until the parents sign off on the youth protection booklet at the beginning of the Handbook.

Thanks, ScoutNut!

I thought of another one too driving kids around to school (inspiration hits at the oddest of times, lol). It is similar to some of these and it incorporates the "digging in the dirt" theme.

Burying the key words in a tub of topsoil and giving each cub a turn to dig in the dirt to find a word..then putting the word in the right blank of the promise.

YIS

Tonya in San Diego

As a past CM, I'll suggest a couple of "games" for you.

#1 We would open our P meetings with a flag ceremony and then one of the boys would lead the P in the Cub Promise and Law of the Pack. Do this: Write the CSP and LotP a word or two at a time on 3x5 cards. Fold them in half and throw'em in a bag(I did one bag for each, but you could mix 'em up). Just before the Cub starts the Promise or Law, step forward and say "hold on a minute! We ask our boys to recite the LotP and the CSP each time! I'd like to see if our PARENTS have been listening." Here, walk around and have each pareent draw a card out of the bag. Ask the parents to arrange themselves in proper order for the CSP or/and the LotP,silently, WITHOUT SPEAKING. And when they are arranged, to say it correctly. You can allow books if you wish. The boys will get a real kick out of it.The adults will be semi embarrassed, but THAT's THE IDEA, RIGHT? You could do the same thing at your Den meeting.

#2 We made small ID cards for the boys (something to put in their wallets!) with the CSP on one side and the LotP on the other, space for their name and address, CS logo. Make 'em look legit. Practice it together at the Den Meeting, with the card in hand.

Have fun. YiS, SSScout

LOVED SSS's idea of putting the parents on the spot - how fun is that?!

Maybe you could give each boy a checklist as they arrive to have initialed as they move around the room doing different things. We love a good "round robin" in Cub Scouts! Something like:

1. Using the CS handshake, shake hands with 5 other Scouts and tell them to "Do Your Best!" (then have 5 little blanks for Scouts to initial when they shake hands)

2. Unscramble the following words of the CS Promise and put them in order (then have the words all mixed up on index cards on the table - leader initials when they have it in proper order.

3. I like your "digging in the dirt" idea - make it like a Law of the Pack treasure hunt! I've found the Law of the Pack to be the most difficult for the Scouts to recall.

Just make the activities fun! Have the boys work with a buddy to rotate to different stations or to do different activities. Just don't make it like a competition or a race - we want EVERYONE to win :-) ScoutNut is right - this is the kind of think they will hear and use over and over, but that's the whole idea - repetition makes it become second nature to them -

clyde