Raingutter Reggata

Hi Everybody!

My name is Robby,and I am new to the Scouter forum. I serve on the committee for Pack 1 in Heidelberg, Germany, and things run a little differently overseas, but I would really like to have some assistance on having a Raingutter Reggata. We have never been associated with a pack that has this event, and I think the boys would really enjoy it! How does one build the tracks is my biggest question. Are the gutters elevated in any way to provide some assistance from gravity? I know that the boys provide their own "wind", but it really as simple as using 10 foot sections of gutters?I have read about other people using PVC pipe ssplit in half if suitable gutters cannot be found. I would appreciate any information on this subject! Tanks in advance!

Robby

The gutters should be parallel and level, filled to about a centimeter from the top. From there it's all wind power! Just make sure that the boys aren't using their noses to push it down the gutter and are actually blowing it along.

We (meaning the Webelos Den as part of their Craftsman Activity Badge) just finished construction of our Raingutter Regatta "track". One of our committee members had a 12' section of 12" PVC (I think it was left over from utilities work) and donated it. Our Regatta is this Saturday and the boys (and parents) are very excited about it. We'll be using straws as the means of transfering air from the mouths to the boats.

The Regatta sailboats are the easiest of the three derbies (Pinewood, Space, and Raingutter Regatta) to construct. Most Cub Scouts will be able to shape the boats (balsa - very easy to sand with 100 grit sandpaper to shape) on their own. Placing the keel and rudder will require assistance from most parents.

The raingutters, or pipe, tracks will need a way to be leveled end-to-end. The height of the track shouldn't be any higher than an average Tiger Cub, bent over comfortably, powering the boat.

Now, does anyone have a set of rules to follow, endorsed or provided by their district? I've seen some rules that state all parts of the Regatta boat kit MUST be used and NO catamran designs are allowed except in the open class (Catamarans wouldn't be viable if the keel has to be used anyway).

I'll post pictures of our Regatta (our track is somewhat 'primative' since we haven't had a chance to apply paint). I'll also get some pictures of a local pack's track which I was very impressed with.

YiS,

Mark

You guys still get balsa kits? Lucky! I used balsa when I went through, but by my brother's time NCAC (at least) had switched to using styrofoam for the boats and only gave them wooden masts, which was a disappointment to say the least (as they had a tendency to push all the way through the boat, thus stopping it if it drug along the track too much...).

Robby - Our Pack did a RR 2 summers ago and it was really fun for the boys. We met in the morning and the boys put their kits together and painted the boats. Then we set them in the sun to dry while we played "water games" (sprinkler hoses, water balloon toss, etc.)and had ice cream. After that, we came inside and started the races.

We used actual raingutters - about 10' sections with only a couple of inches of water in the gutters. We set the "tracks" on two long tables pushed end-to-end. It was level and at about the perfect height for the boys. We did ours indoors - but admittedly, filling the gutters was a pain - used a bucket brigade, basically. Then emptying the gutters was even more of a pain :-) Outside with the water hose would have been much easier.

We started off using straws for the boys to blow, but we found that many of the early attempts resulted in capsized boats. We switched to just blowing the boats without straws and it actually worked much better for us.

As for awards, we did not go all out like we do for PWD. Seems like we had some small token award, but nothing fancy. All the boys did receive a little memento of the race (something "nautical").

Enjoy!

clyde