As a Bear Den Leader, soon to be a Webelo Leader, I have noticed that most of the Leaders go on with there sons, and leaves the Pack always having to rebuild each year. As much as I enjoyed Boyscout, I feel that my skills would be better used if I would recycle back to Tigers and do it one more time once my son moves on. First of all, I would have a chance to recruit future adults, along with boys. I also think that it would be easier the second time around. Has anyone done this without having to do it becouse they had another son going through the program???? Is my thinking on the right track?

I stayed with the pack when my son crossed because the troop said they didn't need my help. I didn't start over as a denleader though, I was and am still assistant CM. Our pack CM also stayed after his boy crossed to Boy Scouts. We think it's important for continuity of leadership. A few years back our whole committee left at the same time. Their sons had all gone on at different times but they stayed on for a while. The problem they left us with was no trained leadership. We had to scramble to get a new committee trained and in place.

I think there are good reasons to stay but you need to carefully consider your decision. (Also your calculus 18 months from now might be different than it is right now)

Are you staying because you want to be of service? Or because you want to be in control?

If you stay will you be resented by the remaining leadership? Or will they welcome you with open arms?

If you stay are you "rescuing" the pack? In other words have you become (or are you perceived to be) so indispensible that they couldn't do it without you? This is a sign of weak leadership in the pack as a whole.

If you stay, are you doing something for them that they could/should be doing for themselves?

By no means do I mean to discourage you from staying. I just think it takes careful consideration about what your own motives are, how that will be perceived by the rest of teh leadership group, and whether or not this is a band-aid solution to a deeper problem of lack of leadership development.

Best advice I've received from various scouters whom I respect...start training your replacement as soon as you get a new job. You don't want to be indispensible. All too often it causes power/control issues, resentment in some cases, and serious problems if you ARE indispensible and then for some reason you really must leave the group.

That said - seems like finding good Tiger leaders is both crucial to the future success of the pack and increasingly difficult these days!

Lisa'bob

I'm doing that & I'm having a great time! My son, who joined Cub Scouts in 3rd grade, crossed over to Boy Scouts in March 2005 & I wasn't needed in the troop, not even as a committee member. I was still involved with the pack as part of the committee. I really missed the weekly den meetings, I was the Assistant DL & I told the CM that in September if none of the new Tiger's parents want to be the Den Leader that I would be the DL. Well, no one wanted to be the Tiger DL & I'm having a great time with the boys & their parents, we've done a lot of fun & different activities! I told the boys & their parents that I'll take them all the way to Webelos II!

So Brian, go ahead & start over again! Have more fun!

Judy

:)

If you enjoy it, have the time to do it, and the pack wants you to continue, then do it.

What does your son/family think about your continuing with the pack?

On a seperate note. Each Pack needs to have a succession plan, so that it does not find itself without trained and experienced leadership. We try and have someone from each den level involved with the program. Is there a den popcorn kernel who can take over. Will the ACM be able/willing to take over for CM. Two-deep leadership is there for saftey reasons, but also for continuity of leadersip

If you enjoy it, have the time to do it, and the pack wants you to continue, then do it.

What does your son/family think about your continuing with the pack?

On a seperate note. Each Pack needs to have a succession plan, so that it does not find itself without trained and experienced leadership. We try and have someone from each den level involved with the program. Is there a den popcorn kernel who can take over for the Pack popcorn kernal. Will the ACM be able/willing to take over for CM. Two-deep leadership is there for safety reasons, but also for continuity of leadership

I think it's great to continue in Cub Scouts. Just make sure that you really do have the time for it. We had a couple of leaders who said they were going to stay on another year, but they got so involved in Boy Scouts that they didn't really have time to be in Cubs as well. Whenever there was a conflict, they always chose the Boy Scout activity. I would rather they had quit completely, because I never could rely on them.

Brian,

If you're doing it for the love of Cub Scouts, then go for it and best wishes to you. I wish you we had you in our Pack because no one would step up and be a Tiger DL and we ended up losing our Tiger Cubs.

If you stay with the Pack, offer your experience and help but make room for moms and dads that would like to fill lead positions. Even though you have experience, be ready to be an "assistant". A trained and experienced assistant can provide advice and counsel and be a strong asset to the Pack.

Thank you all. We are a small Pack, currently 5 Tigers, 0 wolfs, 2 Bears, 5 Webeloes I and no Webeloes II. Our Leadership is 1 CC, 0 Pack Committee, 1 Tiger Leader, 1 Bear Leader( Myself) The Cubmaster fills the roll for Ass. Den Leader, 1 Webeloes I leader. We do have someone set up for next year to take over as Tiger Leader when everyone moves up a level. This Pack has came close to folding a few times in the last 2 years becouse of lack of Adult participation. My thoughts are that it would work better with a experianced leader to help the program grow.

Our CM's son crossed over to Boy Scouts in January - the CM has stayed on - we're not exactly sure when he is planning to step down, although he has hinted that we need to be thinking about a successor. We have no ACM.

He has an older son who is out of Boy Scouts now and he (CM) is very much involved in the Troop.

We are in the same situation as mbscoutmom. Whenever there is a conflict b/t Pack plans and Troop plans, he always opts for the Boy Scouts. We either have to change OUR date or he just doesn't come to the Pack event.

My feeling is that he no longer has a vested interest in the Pack anymore, since he does not have a boy in it.

JMHO - clydesdale115

"I wish you we had you in our Pack because no one would step up and be a Tiger DL and we ended up losing our Tiger Cubs."

THAT is why I stayed at the Pack level as Permanent Tiger Leader.

Go for it!

briantshore,

Talk with the remaining Pack leaders if they want you (and they're probably nutz if they don't) and it is what you want to do GO FOR IT!

Example...My 19 year old (the Eagle) had a wonderful Den Leader...this guy lead "his" boys to AOL with most of the Den getting all activity pens...he is great with younger boys...he gave them extra weekends for extra work, and allowed them as much time as they needed to get tasks done...If they needed another weekend of his time to finish a project...he had their parents bring them to his workshop (garage) and the project got done! When my son's Den graduated this den leader had already joined the troop (his son was a year ahead of mine son) but "stan" did not find the same magic with older boys...after a few months he volunteered to take over a den that had a "drop-out" den leader.

He was back home! He just "fit better" with the younger boys... He was a far better Den leader than an ASM though he is a great outdoorsman! While he stayed with the troop while his son was a Boy Scout he was not as active as I would have liked...still more active than most parents...but he was knee deep in Cubs!

You might say that "Cubs is what he does" and I believe that is where he can do the most for scouting...believe me his boys are prepared for Boy Scouting...retention rate is nearly 100% and most climb to at least LIFE...In my book the troop owes about seven of its eagles to this mans strong foundation building!

quick math tells me he has been a den leader for about 14 years and is still helping out the cubs...troop "lost him" years ago...

Go where your heart and head lead you!

YIS

Anarchist

(This message has been edited by anarchist)