Chartered Organizations duties

You can ask the chartered organization to do the things listed on the charter agreement signed by the head of the CO and BSA when the pack was formed.

Among the most important are:

- Appoint a chartered organization representative who is a member of the organization.

- Select a unit committee.

- Provide meeting facilities.

- Include Scouting as part of their overall program for youth.

Don't ask for money. They are not your "sponsor".

cubbymaster,

don't mind FSouter...he didn't have his bran this morning! come out with it son...WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ASK OF YOUR CHARTER ORGANIZATION? Lets not beat around the proverbial shrub. What do you want?

Its much easier to "opine" if we know what is really on your mind...so out with it!

ANARCHIST

P.S. Some COs provide money without being asked...and asking is not a sin!

We would really like a Pack flag. But there are also other things that are needed. I feel that all we seem to be doing are fundraisers, trying to earn money for functions or activities. We collect dues but being a new pack we are always putting money into resources.

Speaking as a COR,

A Chartered Partner does need to care about its units. This is even more true at start-up.

Yes, the founding families of a unit do end up buying lots of things for the future. Been there, done that, as a Scout, as a parent, as a Scouter.

Even so, if a Chartered Partner is going to commit to Scouting as part of its overall program, it should be willing to help during the formation and nurturing phase.

Now, with all that said, I would ask your DE to be listening for units closing up ... they do happen. Chartered Partners closing up Scouting operations have two choices: They can release property for redistribution to other units (like yours), or they can retain it in trust for reactivation of the unit at a later date.

Who is your Charter Org? If they are something like a school's PTO, they might not have a lot of extra money beyond the charter fees.

Our CO supports it's units (Pack & Troop) in financial ways, but there are plenty who are basically "paper" CO's only.

Bottom line, the only way to know if they will help you out is to ask them. Sit down with your CC & your COR(Charter Org Rep) & discuss the issue.

Welcome cubbymaster!

I think it is reasonable to ask the charter partner to help you get your unit off the ground with basic equipment including flags. (Keep in mind that they, not you or the pack, actually own all equipment that the pack accumulates.)

At the same time, what have you done for them so far? Any service projects for the church? These don't need to be monetary (in fact, I really think they shouldn't be); stuff like cleaning up the church grounds or planting flowers or serving the ice cream at the church social, etc., are all places where your cub pack can offer service to your chartered org.

If you are already doing these kinds of things, then you are probably building a good relationship with the church and the men's club, and they may be more open to providing you with the items you want/need too.

Since you're a new pack, this is a wonderful opportunity to get that relationship off on the right footing! Do sit down with your committee chair and your charter organization representative (and maybe the leader of the men's club) as others have suggested. The sooner both sides understand how you can and want to help each other, the better the relationship, the more likely the pack will succeed (because the CO will be fully and actively supportive) and the happier everyone will be.

Good luck! And keep us updated - it is always nice to hear how new packs are doing!

Lisa'bob

cubbymaster,

There we go son (or daughter?)...by saying what was on your mind all kind of stuff starts flowing!

Lisabob has some good words for you ...(man, saying that didn't hurt near as much as I thought it would ;>) !)

Many units are (or seem to be) "afraid" of the CO and try to "fly" way below the radar and in the process become strangers... Sit down with these men...regularly, tell them of your unit's hopes, needs and aspirations...Help them get excited about the work you're doing. Develop a close relationship with the COR. Invite him (if he is not a scout parent) to come to your activities (especially the Blue and Gold and the PWD).

As Lisabob says, find ways of "paying back" -a nice way to say thank you is to ask for time each year during some church event to officially present the charter to the CO (with lots of folks in attendance...). We do it during a Sunday service complete with a flag ceremony...seems to go over big! Find out what good works they do and see if your boys can help in some small (big!) ways...

Remember (taking a lesson from our kids)...if you ask for something -the worst that can happen is sometimes the answer will be NO! on the other hand...If you don't ask the result is always the same as NO...

come back often

Anarchist

Alot of excellent suggestions posted here!

Cubbymaster,

I would add that it's also helpful if one or some of the Pack leaders are "active" members of the CO. This creates a stronger, more personal relationship with the CO. If membership is not possible, then at least develop a friendly alliance with them and be supportive of some of their needs and projects.

Best Wishes to your Pack.

Cubbymaster,

I will bring up one more point, that I haven't seen anyone one else suggest. At FOS (Friends of Scouting) time, instead of our COR donating something to the campaign, he just signs the card, and then asks us if there is something the PACK is in need of. They usually spend between $100-$200 a year on our pack. The COR feels our PACK is where his (and his organization) heart is...not the entire scouting council, and would rather donate directly to us than to the council. Every year when I need the FOS card signed, I remind him that the campaign is for the entire council, and that I only need his signature to help qualify us for the quality unit award, and then at that time he asks us if we need anything.

Lisabob, is right on the money...doing a service project for the group/church is an excellent way to have a pack activity and all it costs is some boy energy...which we all know they have! Even though the PTA does not sponsor our pack, we still meet at the school, not at our CO, so we do service projects for the school. A couple of them have involved power tools the boys would not have normally been exposed to, and under close supervision, they had a blast working them!

I think a Pack flag would be a reasonable thing to ask for from your CO. Once it is purchased, make sure there is a very special ceremony planned, and that all member of the CO are invited to attend it. The CO could possibly even do the color guard that night, and then present the pack with the new pack flag.

YiS,

jens3sons