Parent crossed the line, I quit the pack

Our pack hires a Boy Scout troop to run the entire thing. They bring the track, set it up, run the races, even choose the non-racing winners (coolest car, best craftsmanship obviously built by a cub). All we do is weigh the cars the night before. It is the best money we spend all year.

I understand your frustration with PWD. Some of the cars at ours have a better finish than the cars coming off the assembly line in Detroit. Too many stories to share...would fill up too many pages here. As far as quitting, only do it if it impacts your work. Do not quit because of the parents...it is true they win(?) or have satifaction and the "see I told you so" factor... you look bad/weak even though it is more than likely you are correct. I applaud you on your training...I too am a Wood Badger...a Good Old Buffalo...but please do not make it sound like or appear you are better than a non-Wood Badger...it is a great program, but being Wood Badge trained does not make a good scout leader...there are many good leaders who are not Wood Badge trained. It appears that you do this because you have a deep and great respect for scouting...continue it because of that reason no matter what a parent thinks or says. Continue to explain the virtues and values of scouting and the many opportunities it offers to all involved. Keep up the good work.

Ain't it great when parents cover for their kids! Ain't it great when other Scouters can't see the forest for the trees.

Had a similar thing happen when I was the president of boosters for my daughters basketball team so I know how you feel. It's too bad you quit & let the moronic parents think they were in the right! Good luck! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Just to clear the air, I didn't quit on a whim. I put some thought (and yes, quite a few tears ) into that decision. I told the principal my decision and his answer was "That is probably best for you".

I only mentioned my woodbadge training in support of my other training to show my commitment to scouting and to which ever pack I move to and to boost my own self esteem about another pack wanting my sons and I to join. I wasn't meaning to imply that it made me special in anyway other than I can sing "Back to Gilwell" in my sleep and so can my children. It was one of my ticket items to create the committee that laughingly enough was my reason for leaving. I have put many many months and hours (blood sweat and tears too) into trying to rebuild this pack and I don't see my self as a quiter. I did what was best for my job and family first, now I am looking for a new pack, a choice I won't make quickly.

Kristi

Kristi, sometimes it's the stronger, braver thing to do to just suck it in and walk away, especially when you think the court of public opinion is not with you. Whether that's the other parents, this forum, work, whoever. Obviously Ed's done it, I've done it - let 'em think what they want (and THAT's the hard part cuz it's awfully hard to think the weasels are having the last word - I WANT the last word!).

You're the only one who has to walk in your shoes. You'll be stronger for it.

Vicki

Kristi,

Your family and job have to come first.

You did the right thing ... as a leader and as an academic professional.

If the parents in your Pack did not understand you work in that building, then they are truly disconnected from their childrens' universe.

I know the tears, but know you did what had to be done :)

A volunteer is a volunteer, eh? It's somethin' you do with your free time and cash because you enjoy it. No paid professional educator should be the subject of discourtesy, parent belligerence, or the like, though sadly it's common enough. But should a volunteer put up with it? No way.

A few of us like Eamonn or F might have a stubborn streak... or, well, a callin' to educate the rude ones. But that's our choice with our own volunteer time. A good person walkin' away and leavin' them with the job to do might be as good a lesson anyway.

Go find yourself a fun pack to give your time to.

Kristi, I think you are doing the best thing for your situation. If you stayed in your Pack just so "they" wouldn't win, then you would be miserable, and your job could suffer. By moving on, you will "win" a better situation, even if "they" think they have "won." Good Luck!

Thick skin, Cajuncody. That's what it takes. We also employ older boy scouts to do the judging and run the races. At the district level, I do the weigh-in and bring my lab balance...many complaints, "...that's not what it weighed back on (you fill in the date)..." so I just take my calibration standards out and check to make sure I'm right. I am. Silence. They either weigh the limit or less or they don't race. And they meet the written standards for dimensions and construction as well. The only cars I've disqualified were ones drooling with silicone or other lubricants or the ones with exquisitely machined, polished, and hidden wheels (non-regulation). The boys must have slaved for hours at a machine shop for those cars, I felt kind of bad.

But I don't have a dog in the fight so they can just think of me as being equally hard on everyone. And then I love it when the kid who actually DID make his own car wins.

The 'good sport' trophy is a great idea. We also have a strong competition for best design. Some of the boys don't even race, they just go for the design. OK by me if it's OK bayou.