Webelos' attendance is hit and miss - when to award if at all?

I have a large Webelos den (12 boys)and a full calendar of Webelos activities each month. A few boys come one week and not the next so they miss out on any activities done during the den meeting. When it comes time to award their Webelos activity pins, I don't award if the work has not been done. Same goes for projects assigned to do at home with a parent. If the work is not done, the award is not earned. Don't get me wrong, we make every attempt to keep things fun and hands-on, (not like school). I don't want to dampen enthusiasm for Scouts, but I expect the boys to "do their best" and that means doing the requirements to earn the reward. My dilemma is at pack meeting, the one or two (or three) boys who's attendance is spotty, don't get something and this is leading to hurt feelings. I have one learning disabled boy and we adapt the program for him so he can be successful, but he's there EVERY week, never misses. Any ideas?

I have had a similiar situation with my den and I only have 5 boys (Web I and II's). If the boys don't attend, they aren't going to advance. I would (and have) award to the boys that have finished the work and when (or if) the others finish the work then they will get the award.

I know this probably sounds harsh, but if the boy didn't show up for practices, he would play on the team. Webelos are old enough that if they want to participate and advance, they will be there or make up the work.

We do the same as kittle...it kind of follows the "no more, no less" rule in Boy Scouts. If they don't do the work, they can't earn an award, as the award is based on the work being completed.

We talk to the boys and let them know ahead of time what the expectations are and why they aren't getting a particular award. But it is up to the boy & his family to complete the requirements if they want to advance. Kinda' hard for them sometimes, but not fair to the other boys if they actually do the work. We had one who didn't get his Arrow of Light. He had the choice of staying in Cub Scouts until he finished it. He was sad he wasn't getting it, but understood when we explained. He chose to bridge with his den.

Two comments:

Twelve boys is well beyond the reasonable Den size. Seems to me there's a need to split this Den, so the DL can spend more time, in the meeting context, working with each Webelo directly. 8 Cubs to a Den, 8 boys to a Patrol. It's a number Baden-Powell knew well, based on proven in blood leadership in field practice.

Second, and another reason for the smaller Den size: Given that "do the requirement" is a reasonable standard, is there a family reason your Webelos are missing meetings? What have your phone calls to parents yielded?

Remember: Even apathy can have a deeper root cause.

YIS(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Bottom line in my den is if work was not done, then do not get the award. Of course there is the possibility of some parents signing off on things that were not done, but that parent is cheating out their son on learning and practicing skills needed in Boy Scouts.

Do these boys get their allowance if they do not do their chores at home? I know I did not.

Webelos is to gear up and prepare for Boy Scouts. It is a very different system. Skills learned to reach First Class are often signed off by a patrol leader, then reviewed in a Scoutmaster's conference. Don't pass review, no advancement in rank.

If they decide to complete their work, they could look rather ambitious if they finish off 2-3 Activity Pins that get presented a single Pack Meeting.

Find out if they have any schedule conflicts (religion, sports, etc.) If so, maybe change meeting night. Talk to the boys and their parents and explain how this work is preparing them for Boy Scouts and how things are done in a Troop. Maybe have a discussion when everyone is there on how fun last week's meeting or trip was or their favorite part of the activity (deer seen on a hike, how far someone's catapult fired, the gemstones found in the quarry). Talk up an upcoming activity or trip, plan a pool party following after finishing the Aquanaut swimming requirements. Make feel like they are missing out on something fun if they aren't there. If it sounds like something they really want to do, they will come.

As for 12 boys, it is a bit much. Hope you have 2 assistants at you meetings. The rule is supposed to be no more than 9 boys. Ten boys is supposed to be split into 2 dens.

I plan my year so that if everyone does their "homework" and attends the all the den meetings they will earn their rank and at least an arrow point. I had 2 just make Wolf rank by the last pack meeting without any arrow points and another was 3/4 finished on their wolf and then disappearred during baseball season. A couple of mine dropped out in favor of sports. I know how you feel, but I Do My Best and try to Be Prepared to make it a good experience for the boys.

Growing up is hard.

Lord knows we don't want to hurt or upset a little fellow.

But one of the lessons we all have to learn is that you get what you earn.

If you don't do the work you don't get the reward.

Back when I was a CM, I had a couple of Den Leaders who would try and soften the blow of a Lad not getting something at the pack meeting by making sure everyone got something. Not the Activity Pin, but something.

I didn't interfere, they were the Den Leaders!!

I think you need to voice your concern to the parents of the Lads. Let them know, that you don't like seeing their little fellow being upset and that they need to really try and make sure that they get him to the meetings.

I'm in total agreement with you that if they have not met the requirement they should not get the pin.

Eamonn.

JD,

Who are you trying to appease here; the boys, or the parents?

Either way the situation is self explanatory to all, and if there are "hurt feelings" then the message is getting across. Simply remind the boys that awards are earned, not given away. If they want to go home with something, they have to do the work. Everything can be done at home. They just need to put the time in.

I also have 12 Webelos scouts. I tried to split the den, but no one else would step up to lead. I have several parents who are willing to help, but are not willing to be leaders. At most den meetings I have 2 or 3 adults, plus a den chief, to help me out. I try to plan 3-4 different stations, when possible, with one adult at each (all in the same room, of course), and the boys rotate through the stations. Games, of course, are played with the whole group. That's when it is nice to have a large den.

I, too, have boys who miss meetings, but you can't just give them an award that they haven't earned. I let the parents know what their son missed, and I also remind them that they can use family, school, church, etc., activities to count towards requirements. When parents take the time to look through the Webelos book, they often find that their son has fulfilled some requirements.

The bottom line that I would always communicate to the boys and parents at the beginning of the year was that it was their responsibility to see that their son completed the requirements before they could qualify for the awards. If they didn't do it, they had no one to blame but themselves if their son didn't recieve any recognition at the pack meeting.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

I think I need to speak one on one with the parents and reiterate that the awards are given when the work is done. We make a calendar that has the month's "do at home" assignments, and a list of the activities that are done as a den. Worksheets, kits, crafts etc. are all made available to each boy. So in theory, any activity badge can be earned independent of the den.

Yes, 12 boys is a big group. In the process of building a pack, (a year ago we were at 20 boys, this year 43)by necessity, the Webelos den is both 4th and 5th grade boys. My 5th grade boys all joined the pack mid year, so we weren't set up for a second den. They will cross-over very soon, (they wanted to earn their AOL and needed to be in the den for six months)

I do have a remarkable assistant and we alternate planning the curriculum monthly. One person plans and sets up, the other supports and helps. Also, we have two parents scheduled each week to assist.

We utilize learning and activity stations and the boys work in teams on the projects. It's amazing to see them cooperating and helping each other.

Thanks again,