patch for memorizing the scout oath and law?

My Webelos Scouts are working towards Arrow of Light now. As an incentive for memorizing the Oath and Law, I wanted to give the first boy who gets it correct a patch (or some other small gift). Is there a Scout oath / law patch? What other incentive would you recommend?

How about the Scout Oath/Law coin from Scoutstuff?

Not too expensive. I wish I had thought of this when my Wolf/Bears were all working on Bobcat.

YiS

Michelle

ETA - I had tried to do a link to the coin but it didn't seem to work...:((This message has been edited by msnowman)

If your Council/Pack utilizes segment patches, you could give one of those. There is a tan w/red BS Sign that would work.

Or - A small key chain compass made into a slide.

You could also just do up a nice, or funny, certificate for him.

Oh, for crying out loud! That soft whirring sound that you hear is Bill Hillcourt spinning in his grave. "Green Bar Bill" was asked by the National Council to revamp the BSA program back in the 1920's. One of the first things that he did was eliminate almost all of the hatfll of awards (medals, tokens, etc.) for completing advancement requirements. Learning the Oath and Law is a requirement for AoL, The den leadre's job is to modivate the boys, not dangle carrots in front of them. Scouting doesn't work that way. Congratulating the forst boy to recite the Oath and Law is an occasion to praise him in front of his peers. That shoud be reward enough.

Some of us leaders just neede help motivating the boys. I have a den of Webelos (2 first year and 3 second year) that seem unmotivational (all but one). One boy is going to join a Boy Scout Troop, another's mother won't let him join a Troop, and the last has been unwilling to finish his Ftiness from over a year ago and also won't cooperate during meetings. The first year scouts aren't much better: one had attended about half of the meetings this year and the other has attended 2 since August. All but the boy who is joining a Troop have parents who are uninterested and don't help the boys with anything Scout related. For these boys, a patch or something to the first to learn it would be the motivation that the parents aren't.

When the boys are there, they are unruly and uncooperative. I actually told them all (other leaders and boys) last week that if I had another week like this they would be without a Webelos leader. I haven't had a son in the Pack for over a year and won't have another in it until the fall of 2007.

I took another route, but not on purpose.

Our den was working on practicing the Oath and Law, when all of a sudden my 3rd grade daughter recites them both dead nuts on. I was shocked. It seems that she "absorbed it" when I was reciting it to my son at home and in the car while on the way to school.

The boys were embarassed that a 3rd grade girl knew it and they didn't. At the next den meeting all but one of the six boys knew it by heart. Funny thing.

'Atta boys are good for many things, and great motivaters for some situations & some boys. I like the idea of the Scout Oath & Law coin for this particular task, as a motivator. Patches are very popular...check your Scout shop and see if there are any patches you might use for motivation. Our Council sells extras from old campouts. Maybe something like that would work. But there are usually some "Good job" or "I Did My Best" patches available too, which are often good for motivation.

Sure, the satisfaction of "a job well done" is great, but not always the neccesary motivation for a lad. Maybe some of the previous posters are great motivators personally. I do know we have had leaders in the past who thought offering prizes for required work was bribery and totally inappropriate. I also know they often led through intimidation. Our Scouts said of one in particular, "He was potty-trained at gun point, and he leads that way." I'd rather offer a reward.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to use one of the patches in the boys scout catalog and personalize it for my den. Giving a patch as incentive never hurts. BTW, I'm giving the FIRST boy an extra incentive - a cub scout wallet :)