Outings Chair question

Hi,

I'm a brand-new Cub Master and still learning the ropes. A question for you experienced Scouters out there ...

Our pack does not have an outings chair -- who's responsibility would it be to plan, co-ordinate and execute the pack outings in this case? The Committee Chair or the Cub Master?

I do understand that the pack program gets planned at the Annual Pack Planning meeting, and that it is a team effort, but who does the actual foot-work?

Thx!

Oh that's very helpful FCScouter :D

I guess the answer is "Cub Master"??

The real problem is that our CC has a problem 'letting go' and while she wants me to be Cub Master, she doesn't want me to be Cub Master and co-ordinate the pack program like I'm supposed to do. Know what I mean? Anyone else have this experience?

She feels 'left-out' now that she doesn't have to have an active hand in actually making the pack activities happen (besides the planning and facilitating through funding and resources like the Committee is supposed to do). What to do? *sigh* I've left it alone for now as we're winding down for the year, but I really think she ought to concentrate on doing a good job of being a CC instead of still trying to be CM as well. Any advice?

Thx

Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and put a foil dinner in the coals :)

As the Cubmaster, you have ownership over program events. This includes decisionmaking (with input and feedback from the Committee) on Pack outings.

One way to help train others to follow in your path is to ask an Assistant Cubmaster to be your "point person" for outings, coordinating the program needs for each outing.

Then, he/she or you can turn those needs over to the Committee and say "these are the things we need for this activity to be successful. Can you get folks to provide the various eaches?"

Another way is for you to ask "Please, would you make the phone calls to plan the potluck at our Pack pool party and raingutter regatta?""Please, would you make the phone calls and ensure the pool knows we're coming and what the cost of lifeguards are?"

The more you can spread the labor for an outing into bite-size chunks, the more will share in the labor, and the more will have a degree of ownership over the results.

BTW, I can make a case for this being on both the program (CM) and the support (CC) sides of the Pack :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Both the CC & the CM need to do THEIR jobs instead of taking on things that should be done by others.

The job of "Outings Chair" should NOT be one of the jobs of either the CM or the CC. It is the job of the CC to appoint another person to do this job. You, as CM, could sit down with the CC to decide who you both feel would do a good job. This person would then get others to help them as needed (Outings Committee). Any and all Pack Camping trips should be organized & run ONLY by the people in the Pack who have had BALOO training.

Not having an Outings Chair does not mean the CM & CC fight over which one of THEM does the job. It means that you need to GET SOMEONE ELSE to be Outings Chair! If you can't get someone to step up for the whole enchilada then break it down by event. Get someone to organize a picnic. Someone else to be in charge of organizing Day Camp attendance. Another person to organize a Fishing Derby. Somebody to put together a night/day at a sports event. Have your BALOO person(s) run the Pack Campout.

If you are lucky, maybe one of these fine folks will realize that it would not be so hard to be in charge & delegate others to do the work & step up as Outings Chair.

"... who does the actual foot-work?"

ScoutNut is on target. The Outings chairman should be doing the leg work. The CM has enough other responsibilities. He should participate in the planning, and be in charge of the execution, but that logistical stuff is for the committee Outings person.

It is the responsibility of the Committee Chairman to ensure that all the committee positions are filled and all functions are being handled. If the CC has not done that, it is not the CM's responsibility to step in and take over a committee function in addition to his own. The CC needs to get the position filled, or do it herself.

Yes, I agree the outings chair is the right person for the job. But how many packs actually have someone step up for this position? I know of very few. It almost always ends up being the Cubmaster or one of the other leaders. Not that it's the right answer, just how it usually is.

Our pack has a camping chair to oversee 1-2 camping trips per years. He just stepped up to be Cubmaster and will be grooming someone to take over during the planning seesion for our late Spring campout. Usually the camping committe chair will oversee our members going to the Winter Cub Event as well.

We usually have different people chair the different outings according to their interests. We had a mom leading the trip to see a pro hockey game and another for a pro basketball game. Usually one of the dads handles a trip to go to a local minor league game. My wife was in charge of organizing us for the Bowl-a-thon that was put on by the Council. All of these people report to the CC and CM.

Always have a paper trail on who is handling what commitee and who the members are. The committee should document how to organize it, who the contacts are for where we go, when to submit a local tour permit, what supplies are needed, how many scouts and adults attending and the cost. This way there is something to refer to for future planning and its gets handed off the the next chair person.