Worthy 'make up' conservation project

My Wolf den recently completed a conservation project for the World Conservation Badge. We met with a park ranger at a state park and worked for about an hour and a half clearing land of broken tree limbs and preparing a large planter, cleaning out old mulch and dumping in new.

Unfortunately, one of my scouts was sick and missed the project. I'm trying to determine what would be a makeup project worthy of calling a conservation project. Does working 1 1/2 hours in his backyard equal what the other scouts did? Do I have the dad work with him in another park picking up trash perhaps?

I'd love your ideas on this one.

Every year (the first weekend in May) our school does a "Beautification Day". We spend about 4 hours from 8am-12pm cleaning up the school grounds of trash and weeding the flower beds. New flowers are planted in the containers, and new mulch is put down. Most of the plants have been donated for the flower beds, as extras that people have had. Some things have been added as a memorial to different teachers and the one principal who have passed away. It is a great "support your school" activity, and one that the cub scouts and brownies, and girl scouts have always participated in. If your school doesn't have something like that, maybe this boy and his parent could start a new tradition in your school as well!

Congratulations on earning your award!

Jens3sons

Not in his own backyard. He & his dad can pick up trash from your local town park, around his school, church, or library. How about some clean up work around your CO. Local Forest Preserves, Nature Centers, State Parks, Friends of Rivers, etc, will often have work days to help clean up trash, pull non-native plants, spread seed, etc. Check to see if any are coming up this Spring.