What is the Committee Chairpersons responisbilities??

I am new to scouting and recently took over role of pack secretary. Actually all of us committee members are new to the roles (treasurer, secretary and chairperson) Our pack used to have just one person taking care of all of these roles until she had to move unexpectedly due to job transfer out of state. We all took over the roles without much direction on what we are supposed to do.

My concern is that the person that took over as committee chairperson seems to want to phase myself and the treasurer out and do everything himself and I thought I read somewhere that not one person was supposed to have that many roles. He was annoyed that I became the secretary and continued to do the minutes, when I told him that I believed I was supposed to do them he seemed a little put out. I mistakenly thought I was supposed to do the agenda too, but already know that he is supposed to do it which is fine by me, one last thing I have to do. I just recently found out that he called the treasurer up and informed her that he was going to be coming by to pick up all of her "books" and take them home with him to go through (didn't ask just informed). She gives a full financial report at every leaders meeting and always willingly tells us what is going on with the finances. I don't understand why he wants to get the books and go through them or what he is looking for. Its almost as though he does not trust her. He insisted on depositing popcorn money and rechartering money himself instead of giving it to the treasurer to deposit. Its almost as though he thinks he has this sole role of running the pack instead of a collection of us working together. Or am I wrong? Are we supposed to run the pack together as a collective or does he have main ruling? Could someone please give me a breakdown since we are all very new to this and help me out here. It is starting to become such a big drama that my husband and I (my husband is the assistant Weblos leader and the treasurers husband in the cubmaster) feel like checking out other packs. All we wanted was to get involved with something are kids are interested in and have fun but it feels like a big soap opera all the time. Thanks!

Committee Chair

Maintain a close relationship with the Chartered Organization Representative, keeping this key person informed of the needs of the pack which must be brought to the attention of the district and council.

Report to the chartered organization to cultivate harmonious relations.

Confer with the Cubmaster on policy matters relating to Cub Scouting and the chartered organization.

Supervise pack committee operation by:

A. Calling and presiding at pack leaders mtgs.

B. Assigning duties to and training committee members.

C. Planning for pack charter review, roundup and reregistration.

D. Approving bills before payment by treasurer.

Conduct the annual pack program planning conference and the monthly pack leaders meeting.

Complete Pack Committee Fast Start and Cub Scout Leaders Basic Training.

Ask committee to assist with recommendations for Cubmaster, Asst. Cubmaster, Webelos Den Leaders, Den Leader Coaches and Den Leaders, as needed.

See that new dens are formed when needed and be alert to the need for more Webelos dens.

Work with Chartered Organization Representative to provide adequate and safe facilities for pack meetings.

Cooperate with the Cubmaster on council-approved money-earning projects so the pack can have money for material and equipment.

Control finances through adequate finance records.

Maintain adequate pack records and take care of pack property.

Assume active direction of the pack, if the Cubmaster is unable to serve, until a successor is recruited and commissioned.

Provide a parent training program.

Develop and maintain strong pack/troop relationships, sharing with the troop committee the need for graduations into the troop.

Work closely with the unit commissioner and pack and troop leaders in effecting a smooth transition of Webelos Scouts into the troop.

Help bring families together at joint Webelos den/troop

activities.

Support the policies of the Boy Scouts of America.

Treasurer

Help the pack committee and Cubmaster in establishing a sound financial program for the pack with a pack budget plan.

Open a bank account in the name of the pack and arrange for all transactions to be signed by any two: Cubmaster, Chairman, Secretary or Treasurer.

Approve budget expenditures.

Collect dues from Den and Webelos Leaders at the monthly pack leaders meeting.

Keep up-to date records. Enter all income and expenditures under the proper budget item in the finance section of the pack record book.

Be responsible for thrift training within the pack. Encourage each den leader to explain the pack financial plan to each boy and his parent.

Make periodic reports on the packs financial condition.

Provide petty cash needs by leaders. Keep record of expenditures.

Guide pack in conducting council-approved pack money-earning projects

Secretary

Keep informed of all Cub Scout program literature, materials, records and forms so as to help leaders function effectively. Help new Cub Scout and Webelos den leaders by telling them what items are available.

Acquaint Leaders w/ the contents of Pack Record Book so they will know how to supply information to be recorded there.

Maintain the inventory of pack property.

Handle correspondence for the pack.

This may be writing letters of appreciation, writing for reservations, or sending orders for supplies to the council service center.

Keep notes on pack leader and committee meetings. Only key items need to be recorded, such as things needing follow-up or items for the history of the pack.

Notify leaders of monthly pack leaders meeting and other activities.

Record advancement in Pack Record Book.

Provide den leaders with records and forms for meetings

Welcome to the forums!

Mr RK France gave you a very detailed view of things. If I may, I'll approach this from a different perspective:

:)

The Committee Chairman of a Pack, Troop, Team, or Crew (your case, Pack) is the leader of SUPPORT SIDE VOLUNTEERS in the unit. He or she, working with the Chartered Organization Representative makes sure the PROGRAM SIDE VOLUNTEERS (your case: Cubmaster, Den Leaders) have the resources they need, when they need them.

Your unit is licensed (chartered) by your local Scout Council to a church, school, civic club, or even business. That entity is the CHARTERED PARTNER. There are two officers who matter in the Chartered Partner: The Executive Officer, or Institutional Head, and the Chartered Organization Representative. Together, they represent the ownership of the unit by the chartered partner.

Good communication is always essential in a unit, both in the program volunteers and the support volunteers. There are reasons the Committee Chair can call for the books: One would be that the Chartered Partner mandates an audit of the records. Another could be that it IS tax time, and the Chartered Partner has to account for the units' funds as well (remember the charereing concept).

There may be other reasons, as you have implied, since he/she also seems to want to be not only Chairman, but Secretary. Talk to the Chairman. If necessary, talk to the Chartered Organization Representative. Life is lots smoother when we're all pulling as a team to raise our youth.

I hope this helps :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Thanks for the response. I don't know what the reason he wanted the books for, if it was for tax purposes wouldn't he tell her it was for that? He wouldn't really answer her as to why he wanted them. I don't know what is going on but she feels like he is checking up on her and I just feel like he wants total control of things and needs to understand we all have parts and we all should work together, but if he keeps insisting on total control he can have it and we will go to another pack.

For one place to start here is a link to the Cub Scout Leaders Library. You can buy these books at your local scout shop. The first one listed The Cub Scout Leader Book may be most helpful.

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/library/index.html

Give time for a worthy cause (with eagerness) and you will be worthy and richly rewarded.

~W. Clement Stone

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Corrected the link.

(This message has been edited by Aquila calva) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

• 2 weeks later...

Training training training ... Have you all attended the required training (Fast Start for Committee & Leader Specific for Committee)? This would be the first most important step.

We have had similar issues in our pack, and it really detracts from being able to provide a quality program to the boys. These same issues actually ended up causing our pack to split. The leaders who were willing to go to training and work together as a team ended up in our Pack, and the non-willing were in the group that broke away.

It got to the point where our DE had to get involved. Their 'new' pack is struggling for the mere fact that "ego" has no place in Cub Scouting. Training and team-work cannot be overemphasized enough. The boys have to be the very first consideration in all Pack leader decision-making.