Religious emblem earned as an adult knot?

I'm a little confused on how can I earn a Religious Emblem (knot). I've googled it in a few different places and still can seem to figure out what the requirements are.

This is where I am now: http://www.nccs-bsa.org/emblems-awards/pfp.php?page=sorrowfulMysteries

Are these the requirements for this specific religion or am I way off here?

Thanks, Rodd

It varies from religion to religion for both the youth and adult knots. The youth religious emblem program has a set of clearly-defined requirements for each level, and usually a prescribed program within which to complete them.

Adult religious emblems, on the other hand, are a good deal stickier. Some religions have specific requirements as they do with their youth emblems. Others, such as Catholicism, have them set up as awards that the parish should surprise the scouter with after an extended period of outstanding service towards the religious emblem program (and even states that the limited pool of available awards is not to be handed out every year. So even if you're in a parish that is really aware of the existance of such an award, chances are still quite slim of getting it). Best course of action may be to talk to your priest about it.

Akela, I am not Catholic, but the "Sorrowful Mysteries" patch can be earned by both youth and adults, as the website says.

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but if you are wondering if there are religious emblems that can be earned in the same way that a youth can earn one, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Adult religious awards are by nomination only. Those are the only adult awards that allow you to wear the adult religious "knot" on your uniform.

There are many other religious patches that adults can earn (for example, the God & Country mentor & counselor series), but earning them does not qualify you to wear the knot.

Maybe that's why you're having a hard time finding any such requirements.

If you can share with us what faith you are, we may be able to point you toward the requirements for the related adult award (again, the award will almost certainly be by nomination only and most awards don't allow self-nominations):

http://www.praypub.org/promotional_adultnomination.htm

Thanks for the help here. I'm now Catholic. I went through the RCIA program a few years ago. I recently went to a local Den Leaders Pow Wow and there were a bunch of guys there who had a ton of knots on their uniform and I'm trying to figure out how I can do that to....

That's all....

Thanks, Rodd

Well, if you're Catholic, then your option is the St. George award (I've seen stuff on the Bronze Pelican as well, but I believe that one's not around anymore, not sure). While you can't directly apply for the award, one option you might try if you want to try for it is discuss it with your priest and see about working with him to promote the Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius XII programs for your church's troop if it has one (and perhaps the Cub awards as well).

Rodd, here's the info on the St. George from the NCCS webpage:

http://www.nccs-bsa.org/emblems-awards/stgeorge.php

As you can see, "It is improper to nominate oneself or ones spouse".

One final suggestion: locate and join your diocesan Scouting Committee. Like most volunteer committees, I'm sure they are short-handed and could use more help.

I'm not sure where that leaves you, but Kaji's advice is sound -- do what you can for the Catholic youth in your area, and the award will work itself out.

As Fred stated, the Roman Catholic adult religious awards are by nomination only. You usually have to have worked with youth for a while & have "made significant and outstanding contributions to the spiritual development of Catholic youths through Scouting". Some nominations are by a local diocese committee, some are by the national committee.

The Rosary Patch, International Awareness Activity award, Duty to God Patch, & the Millennium Patch, all have requirements for adult Scouters to earn them. However, earning these do not qualify you to wear the Adult Religious Award Knot.

The other knots you saw were training awards for various levels of Scouting & also for awards earned as a youth (religious award, AOL, Eagle).

BTW - The Catholic awards at the Cub level are family centered. To mentor the Boy Scout level awards you must be trained by your local diocese. Contact your local diocese Catholic Committee on Scouting for training dates.

Akela in NY,

As others have said, as a Catholic scouter, if you are awarded the St. George award, then you can wear the adult religious emblem knot.

Your diocese most likely also awards the Bronze Pelican. I've heard of scouters wearing the knot after receiving that award though I've never read that one is eligible to. I've only seen documentation to wear the knot for receiving the St. George medal.

The Bronze Pelican is awarded at the diocese level and the St. George is at the national level. I'd liken them to the District Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver respectively.

I hope this helps,

SWScouter

Akela in Ny wrote: Thanks for the help here. I'm now Catholic. I went through the RCIA program a few years ago. I recently went to a local Den Leaders Pow Wow and there were a bunch of guys there who had a ton of knots on their uniform and I'm trying to figure out how I can do that to....

That's all....

Akela,

You've received lots of good information on the religous knot, but it sounds like you just don't want a bare uniform.

So if you want knots, we've got lots of them,

Some can come quickly others take years.

Some you earn, other you are nominated for.

Some were earned as a youth and worn since Cubs, others can't be sewn on until you become an adult.

One you can even buy (but at that price you've earned it too.)

There are even unofficial knots issued by several groups in Scouting.

Here is one of many great sites http://www.usscouts.org/awards/knots1.html on the adult knots.