Blue vs Tan Shirts

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

In my pack, the cubmaster wants as a general rule the Webelos I to wear the blue uniforms and the Webelos II to wear the tan. When the badge is earned, the boys will get both the blue diamond and the tan oval. However, if the boy has outgrown his blue uniform by the time he is a Webelos, or is just joining as a Webelos, then he can just get the tan uniform.

I have heard that the blue diamond patch IS being phased out. My local store is not ordering anymore, but they are continuing to sell what they have. Therefore, it's safe to assume that very soon all webelos will be required to have the tan uniform.

queenj02, welcome to the Forums.

(1) It is the family's decision what color shirt their son wears -- the CM (and everyone else, for that matter) has zero say in the matter. It is spelled out the Webelos HB. You might remind your CM of that.

(2) Do you have an official source for the rumor that the Webelos diamond patch is being phased out? I've heard nothing official about this, but lots of rumors over the last five years, which have all turned out to be wrong so far.

fgoodwin,

The only "official" source that I have is my local scout store. They will NOT be ordering any more blue diamond webelos patches but will continue to sell what they have in stock. Now, what I'm not sure of is if the blue diamond will not be available even if the store wanted to order them.

And though the cubmaster has a general rule just for uniformity, I'm sure if a family decides to get the tan uniform before it's recommended, the scout won't get a demerit :)

queenj02: does your Council have any LDS (Mormon) Cub Packs? If so, you might remind your Scout Shop that LDS begins their Cub program in 2nd grade; i.e., they don't use the Tiger program.

This means that LDS boys who wear the blue shirts into 4th grade will still have space for the blue diamond Webelos rank badge, and if I recall correctly, the tan oval Webelos badge cannot be worn on the blue shirt.

So the decision of the Scout Shop to stop carrying the blue Webelos rank badge could force a boy to move to the tan shirt, in contravention of the principle that the decision is up to the family.

This could also be a problem for non-LDS boys who did not earn a Tiger rank (for example, any boy who joins Cubs in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th grades), and thus have room for the blue diamond Webelos rank badge.

Bottom line: as far as I know, there is no effort by National to phase out the blue diamond Webelos rank badge, but of course, I don't claim to have the last word on that.

And with all due resperct to the fine folks who work in the Scout Shops, they aren't always in a position to be the "last word", either.

Off my soap-box now! :)

I like the tan shirts as Webelo I.

We have boys that are high achivers and some that are mininum achievers. We also have boys that have joined as Bears, and will have new boys as Webelos. The boys are competitive and it gives a chance to start fresh and "even". Webelos are more group oriented and they will advance together.