Scout using First Aid Skills

I just have to brag on my son, a new young scout (not yet 11). Yesterday he was riding bikes with other kids in front of our house, when a younger child fell and scraped his arm pretty bad. By the time I could get to the street, my son was running for his personal first aid kit (put together for Scouting). He did a wonderful job of calming the child down, cleaning the wound, explaining to the child how to care for the wound and how often to change the bandage. He also used latex gloves and knew to throw them away afterwards and even washed his hands! With soap!

He learned much of this at Merit Badge Day/College 2 months ago. I was concerned he had not learned much that day due to the size of the class. Not to mention my son has ADHD and did not take his medicine that day. He proved me wrong!

I was very proud of him. He now wants to make another first aid kit to attach to his bike in case of other emergencies. He was also concerned that the child was going into shock (better safe than sorry).

After this incident, he decided he should carry his first aid kit on his bicycle. The next day HE fell and banged himself up pretty bad. When his buddies came helping home, he had already applied bandages to himself. He said when he fell, he had his friend hand him the first aid kit! Now he's been walking around for 2 days with an ace bandage on his arm (that is bruised at the most). But he was more willing to be treated (cleaning, ice packs) than ever before.

He also wants saddle bags for the bike so it is easier to carry the first aid kit. :)