New Scout Mid Year

Just informed that a new Tiger scout will be joing my den.

My Den has just earned their Tiger rank and are starting working toward Bobcat.

His first Den meeting will be in March which leaves only 3-4 months to work on

rank advancement.

Questions is...what should he be working on? Bobcat? Tiger? Both?

My feeling is to have him skip working on his Tiger and work on Bobcat with the

rest of the Den.

You can have him work on Bobcat, but it can't be awarded to him until he graduates to Wolf, unless he earns his Tiger first. You can see if his parents will work on the Tiger book with him at home. They should be able to complete it in less than 3 months. Then he could be awarded the Tiger and Bobcat at the same time.

If I remember correctly, this year's Tigers still need to earn Tiger before they can earn Bobcat. If that is true he wouldn't be able to earn Bobcat before June 1st.

However, how about putting some of it back on the parents? There are 15 things that need to be done to earn Tiger. There is no reason the parents can't do the Tiger requirements with him at home while he works on Bobcat at the den level. That way, even if he doesn't finish Tiger before your Pack bridges over, he will have gotten to work on it, earned his pocket totem and a few beads and will still be able to be ready for Bobcat after June 1st.

Also - if another den in your Pack is planning a field trip that would fit one of the go-see-its he needs (Fire station, hike, tv station, etc), perhaps that den leader would be willing to let New Tiger & Parent come along...since the Tiger ratio is 1:1, it doesn't really add to the Den Leaders load significantly.

Good Luck

YiS

Michelle

The Tiger requirements are not rocket science. Talk to the parents & let them know what their role is. Have them plan some den activities & outings that will help their son with requirements. If the event is different than what the others did to complete the requirement they should not be bored. Find out if your council sells small curved segments. Give the boys a segment for the activity if you feel they need some recognition. I bet many could also be used toward electives.

Earning Tiger by the end of the school year should be very doable. It might take a bit more work on the parents part, but it can be done. And, even if he does not end up with his Tiger rank, he will will have his totem & a few beads & will have had FUN!

BTW - He can work on his Bobcat along the way WHILE he is working on his Tiger.

My two cents, the tiger den shouldn't spend too much time working on Bobcat. There isn't much to it and it is mostly just memorization anyway. The tiger den should concentrate on doing fun activities that earn tiger tracks.

Talk to the boy's adult partner and work out a plan on how he can earn his Tiger rank. Your den should still be doing activities that he can apply towards it. You are still planning on doing more go-see-its with the den anyway aren't you?

SWScouter