an idea to retire red vest for Webelos

I heard this idea at Pow Wow 2005: Make a fleece blanket. I took it a step further and got 2 pieces of fleece. One is the cub scout plain blue and the other is a print of the den name. My boys chose "Running Wolves" so I got this wonderful pattern at Walmart. I'm making the blanket via the no-sew method which you can find online. I'm putting the patches on the plain blue side via fabric glue. You can get letters for personalization (recommended) from Walmart too. When you are done, you have a functional blanket that your BOY Scout can use on camping trips and still show off his past achievements. I should be finished the blanket by the end of the week. I'll be glad to email pictures.

A fleece blanket is a nice way to display your patches. I don't know if I would send it camping with the boys though. With all of use/abuse it will get with 2 or 3 boys trampling it, you might end up losing patches (especially those attached with fabric glue). A better way would be to put a rod pocket on one end & hang it on their bedroom wall.

queenj,

That's a great idea! I dug around on some web pages, and found a no-sew pillow that follows the same idea. We are going to let our Webelos make their own pillows for camping, which will meet one of the requirements for Craftsman Activity pin #4. I could even see adapting this design for backpacking, using only the fleece pillow shell which could be stuffed with clothing for nice comfortable pillow.

If the pillow goes well, we might even try to let them make their own blankets. Or we might wait until next year for the blankets, when they are a year older in Webelos II's. :-)

http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/ideas/pom-may03.htm

The pillow is a great idea as well!

Scoutnut, when I said camping, I was thinking of just for the boy's personal use like for sleeping at night but you're right, I wouldn't want other trampling on it. Making a curtain would be another wonderful display idea.