I am having trouble finding a Native American skit that isn't disrespectful or tacky...

any thoughts?

Most of the stuff I find Googling is rather type-cast. Funny would be fine, but not at the expense of perpetuating stereo-types.

The boys are going to spend the next few meetings working on the Native American electives and learning about the tribes that settled our area.I would like to be able to use their crafts/musical instruments/costumes/bows?etc. in the B&G skit so they can showcase them.

Help!

If you are just looking for a skit, try the "Birch Bark Plays" at The Inquiry Net:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/native/bbr_plays/index.htm

"The Legger Snake and the Googly Frog" was written for boys that age and it is based on an Indian story.

This material is from Ernest Seton's The Birch Bark Roll of the Woodcraft League of America which was the first Native American influence on the BSA. It appears here in its entirety.

The book was the inspiration of many of the elements of Baden-Powell's program as well, such as Merit Badges, and the very first Scout Games.

Follow the "Peer-Level Topic Links" toward the bottom of the page for other related topics:

Native Skills

Totem Poles

Indian Sign Language

Indian Ceremonies

Indian Dance

Indian Songs

Birch Bark Dances

Birch Bark Songs

Birch Bark Plays

Indian Games for Boys

Kudu

At the 2001 National Jamboree in the Indian Lore Merit Badge Area, I met the most wonderful fellow.

He was /is a Native American. Sadly he wasn't at the 2005.

He talked for about 40 minutes about the Scout Oath and Law and not only held everyones attention, but held us all spell bound.

He ended with the following.

There once was a very wise and learned medicine man. Who had the reputation of being the wisest and cleverest of all Medicine Men.

One day a young Brave came before him.

Behind his back he carried a small young bird.

He asked the Medicine Man:

"What do I have behind my back?"

The Medicine Man replied:

"A small bird"

The young Brave thought he would trick the Medicine Man, he was going to ask if it was dead or alive? If the Medicine Man replied alive, all he had to do was close his fist and the bird would die.

So he asked the Medicine Man:

"Is the bird dead or alive?"

The Medicine Man replied:

"The future lies in your hands"

I was moved by this and you could turn it into a little play maybe with one Lad being a narrator.

He didn't add anything further there wasn't any need, but you could if you wanted.

Eamonn.