archery beltloop and pin

Ok, I have a question about policy here. I understand that the Cub Scout Archery beltloop and pin can only be earned at a district or council run Scout camp.

So here's my question. Why can't these awards be earned at a NAA (National Archery Association) range? My younger son is part of a JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Development) program at the shooting range down the street from us, where he shoots under the supervision of NAA certified instructors.

Yet, because it is not a scout camp, he can't earn the archery beltloop or pin.

Now, as I hope to be a NAA certified instructor myself someday, I'm all about safety with a bow. But in this case, safety is not an issue.

Anyone have any ideas why the policy doesn't include non-scout NAA certified ranges?

I don't know the official answer, but we have asked similar questions here and received different answers.

The basic issue here seems to be consistency of teaching methods. If the NAA and BSA do not work together to have the same method, you may not get agreement.

Another key reasoning I would suppose is that without a restriction, you would have a bunch of groups out there having archery as part of den/pack meetings and while some would be well run, others would either present an immediate danger or would 'forget' some of the safety points and such.

We have a small archery set at home and my son has learned from me how to safely shoot his bow. He did earn his beltloop at camp. Personally, I think they should be more clear and only require that the actual shooting portions take place on an approved range by under the tutelage of an approved instructor. If it were up to me, a nationally (internationally) recognized instructor/program should suffice. But, it is not up to me. :) The real goofy part is that some of the options for finishing the pin have nothing to do with actually shooting and could easily be done at home or in a den/pack meeting.

Cynics would say the real reason is so BSA can make more money from boys at camp.

Not extra for the archery, but the extra money is earned through further incentives for boys to go to camp in the first place. I'm not saying that families decide to go to camp exclusively because of the ability to earn a couple of beltloops, but it could tip the scales.

I also stated that it would be the cynical view, not necessarily my view.

• 2 weeks later...

This is online, but even when I bought them for our boys AFTER earning them it had to be verified before we could get the pins!

CUB SCOUT SPORTS: ARCHERY

A Cub Scout Sport for Camp Only

Archery belt loops and sports pins may only be earned through council or district sponsored programs. Quality camp programs will offer an archery shooting program that allows boys to meet the requirements for earning the archery belt loop. In a program where boys come for more than one day, councils should offer activities that meet the requirements for the archery sports pin. Dens and packs enjoy coming to council camps where they have the opportunity to earn belt loops and sports pins that cannot be earned at home."Shooting Sports for Cub Scouts, Webelos Scouts, and Parents in Camp" (No. 13-550,) has been developed for those who will give guidance to Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts in learning BB-gun and archery shooting-sports skills while in camp.

The Archery belt loop and pin can only be awarded by a BSA range-trained shooting-sports director.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ARCHERY SPORTS BELT LOOP

Complete these three requirements:

Explain the rules for safe archery that you have learned in the district/council camp or activity you are attending with your leader or adult partner.

Demonstrate to your leader or adult partner good archery shooting techniques,including the stance and how to nock the arrow, establish the bow, draw, aim, release, follow-through and retrieve arrows.

Practice shooting at your district or council camp for the time allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ARCHERY SPORTS PIN

Earn the archery belt loop and complete five of the following:

Explain the parts of a bow and demonstrate how to string the bowstring in a proficient manner.

Demonstrate how to properly use archery equipment, including arm guards, finger tabs, and quivers and explain about proper clothing.

Develop proficient shooting techniques by practicing for three hours.

Learn the correct scoring techniques for target archery.

Make a poster that emphasizes the four whistle codes.

Draw to scale or set up an archery range.

Shoot 30 arrows from a distance of 30 feet at a target and score at least 50 points, or shoot 30 arrow from a distance of 90 feet and score at least 30 points.

Help make a type of target for the camp archery range.

Show how to put away and properly store archery equipment.

Tell five facts about an archer in history or literature.

GENERAL SPORTS REQUIREMENTS

Following are the requirements for earning the Sports belts loops and pins.

Remember:

Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts (not adults).

The archery and BB-gun shooting belt loops and pins must be earned under BSA range-trained supervision. The BB-gun shooting loop and pin must be earned at a BSA facility range.

Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts with disabilities.

Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to qualify for Webelos activity badges.

Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than once.

Right, the requirements say "The Archery belt loop and pin can only be awarded by a BSA range-trained shooting-sports director."

However, one of the ways to become a BSA-trained archery director is to be NAA certified.

So why can't a non-BSA NAA certified instructor at a non-BSA range sign off on the awarding of the archery beltloop and pin?

And if you look closely at the requirements for the pin, you don't actually have to do any shooting to earn the pin, beyond what had to be done to earn the beltloop. You have to choose five from the list, which does include shooting for 3 hours, but there are enough non-shooting possibilities that you could fulfill the requirments without any additional shooting.

The Boy Scouts do not have any such BSA-trained range director requirement for the archery merit badge. A merit badge councelor doesn't have to have any sort of instructor certification.

• 2 weeks later...

DanKroh,

I believe your NAA instructor can file the appropriate paperwork to be designated as an official BSA instructor and, with the appropriate permissions, deliver a "council/district sponsored" Archery beltloop/pin instructional program at the local range.

I believe it's the BB Gun beltloop/pin that need to take place at a BSA facility. I would think the on-site additional firepower of non-BSA ranges is the likely tripping stone with BB Gun (but not with Archery).

Check with your Council and have a copy of the regs with you.

jd