Webelos Cross Over Gift Ideas

We have 6 Webelos crossing over to boys scouts....2 of them will probably not qualify for Arrow of Light. We usually give the boys some kind of gift. Last year they were given neon boy scout lights...which most of us considered very tacky. I've searched the net for some kind of affordable ($20 - $30), tasteful gift to give these boys and not had much success. Any ideas??? (I don't mind giving the boys earning Arrow of Light something different than the other 2.)

How about a career arrow. It's just a $2 target arrow with bands of tape or paint on it indicating their achievements. An orange band for Tiger rank, navy blue for Bobcat, red for Wolf, etc. Google Webelos Career Arrow. Or how about a shadow box for all their Cub Scout awards?

When Nephew received his AoL and bridged over, we gave him and his den mate a hiking staff. Yea, it was the generic one from the catalog. I stained both of them, added a rope grip (turks head from parachute cord on the bottom with the cord then wrapped up 6 or 8 inches and tied into a turks head on the top, all one piece of cord). Then I added the AoL staff medallion and the red Universal Emblem. Nephew has recently requested I add Tenderfoot and 2nd Class to his staff (just completed 2nd Class BoR).

YiS

Michelle

How about their boy scout handbook, if the troop doesn't already provide that to their new scouts?

We did something similar to what Mark described and provided the handbook too. The troop provided "their" neckerchief.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

Another thing we have done in the past: make the boys a "badge box" for various boy scout patches that can't be worn on their uniform (well, not more than one at a time anyway). Unlike in Cubs, I've never seen a boyscout wearing a red patch vest. We've gone to a craft store and picked up a generic type of wood jewelry box (plain, no decorations) for a couple dollars each, used a wood burner to add the fleur de lis and other items (names of the boys in the den, den symbol, pack number etc.) and then stained them. They turn out nicely and the boys seem to think they're pretty cool. Just make sure to refer to them as "badge boxes" or something "manly" rather than "jewelry boxes!"

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

We give our boys a compass and a hiking staff. The compass we've given the last three years is a Suunto Leader M-3 for $19.25 from http://www.forestry-suppliers.com.'>http://www.forestry-suppliers.com. It is really a first rate compass for the price.

The hiking staff was usually from the Scout Store, but this year we're thinking of buying ratan martial arts staffs, which are lighter and stronger.

I'm pretty sure the troop that they are joining this year will be giving them Boy Scout Handbooks.

As the den leader with the six boys moving up this year, I've been with these boys for five years, so I decided to personally giving them gifts too. Last year the den put together little survival kits (whistles, orange plastic bags, and small button-cell microlights). To add to that I will be giving them each a Magfire fire starter (a sparker - they each used one while working on firebuilding and they were quite impressed, $10) from http://www.magfireusa.com and a Suunto case for their compasses ($10.15) from http://www.forestry-suppliers.com.

When my son's den (7 boys total) crossed over in March 2005 the pack gave them portable hiking stools & they were about $8.00 each. The DL who's also the CM works in NJ & picked them up at the Campmor store, I had checked out the website to see what they had & the prices. They were handy when the boys went camping with their troop. they had a place to sit!

I think giving them something they can use as a Boy Scout is very useful. If they don't have any of these things already how about a compass, canteen, mess kit & utensils, belt bag or fanny pack & my mind just went blank!

I'm sure if you check out the websites for Campmor, Sports Authority, Wal-Mart & other places you could come up with ideas too!

Good luck!

Judy

When our boys crossed over we created a special "bridging ceremony" designed around the walking stick/staff. We told the boys the history of the stick and described how each would serve them throughout their scouting tenure. Each stick had the "Arrow of Light" carved into it with a Dremel tool and was painted blue and yellow with a toothpick. Then we carved each scouts name into the stick. Finally we added some beads, feather and leather handle.

It is so special to present a personal gift. Good Luck

4 of 5 earning the AOL, so each of those will get the Arrow with award painted on the shaft. each boy graduating will get a leather pouch with "memories" in the bag....smaller bags of dirt from meeting place, and other little items...