Den Flag Retirement?

I've been the den leader for my son's den since they were wolfs. Right now they are Webelos 2s and are finishing up work on their AOL award and will be crossing over to Boy Scouts at the Pack's B&G this coming February.

Currently, the den has a flag they designed (Fox den) that is adorned with many ribbons the den has managed to earn over the past 3-4 years for various things such as Natl. Den Award, Den Challenge at a Webelos Encampment, and so on. It also has a big glove hanging from it that they won at resident camp a couple summers ago.

So, my question is, what should the den do with the flag and ribbons once they move on from Cub Scouts? Does your pack keep den heirlooms on display? Perhaps have a ceremonial flag retirement? Perhaps cut it in pieces and distribute to the boys? Burn it?

Thanks,

SWScouter

Before our Webelos den crossed over, we had a campfire/party complete with torches, facepaint, fire arrows, etc. We retired various items to the campfire as we celebrated the old memories and looked forward to the new life as boy scouts. Some of the items retired included the den flag (after inquiry, no one wanted it), a pinewood derby car (one of the many extras built), a neckerchief from each level, ashes from our cub camping trips, trinkets from day camp, etc. It was pretty moving...we had several adults crying.

SemperParatus, thanks, those were great ideas. I was thinking along those lines too but anothers ideas and experiences are helpful.

Does anyone else have any other ideas or experiences with how you closed out your den? I think moving beyond just what to do with the den flag is important.

Thanks again,

SWScouter