I am stuck and need help. I am the SM of our troop. We have 2 boys who are serving the troop as guides. In our troop each patrol gets a guide as an advisor, and also an ASM. The problem is that these 2 boys want the title, which they think is all they need for later advancement, both are currently Star, but despite repeated attempts, don't want to put forth the effort to earn the title.

I would like to put them on "probation" and give them a set of guidelines to follow or they would be removed from leadership. The problem is I believe in positive, not negative reinforcement.

Can somebody help me. What would you do ?

First a comment on your problem and then a question.

Simply read to them the advancement reqirement. it does not say hold an office. It says "actively serve" let them know that at the end of their term they will need to show evidence of hving actively served, and that unless they show more evidence then they have to this point they will not be able to advance.

Now the question. Why have an elected Patrol leader in each patrol if you are assigniong a guide as well? The SPL is responsible for coaching thejob of coaching the PLs. Consider returning the correct patrol method in order to give the scouts a more meaningful experience.

Troop Guides are for the New Scout Patrols because the leadership is rotated monthly so that each scout attends a PLC and gains an understanding of how patrol representation guides the troop. The Troop Guide adds continuity to the patrol's first year and helps guide new scouts through their introduction to scouting.

Bob White

Bob, Our troop uses Guides in place of ASM to help the PL. If the PL has a question or problem, who better to help out then a former PL.

There is 1 ASM for every 2 Guides, (we have 6 guides and countless ASM, thankfully), 4 Patrols w /one Guide per and 2 floaters. These Guides handle skills instruction for lower ranks. The ASM watches for severe behavior problems, disruptive scouts, problems a boy scout might not be able to handle on his own.

Thanks for the advice.