Leader/Committee member

The only person who may serve in more than one registered role in the same unit is the Chartered Organization Representative.

Now, as far as den leaders participating at committee meetings, when I was CM, that was common practice. The DLs wanted to be on the committee (meaning they really wanted a voice in how things were to be done). This is not uncommon, but as far as registration goes, one role per person within the same unit.

Hope this helps.

As bbng stated, the COR is the only person who can be REGISTERED in more than one position.

However, volunteers regularly are registered in one, major position, but serve in multiple positions, unregistered. This has the potential for the leader to be overworked & stretched to thin, leading to burnout.

The more parents & community members you can get to volunteer, the more the work is spread out & the more people get to have FUN & not just work!

We are re-forming a committee, and I was trying to say we shouldn't be asking our leaders. It seems like there are parents who might be available, and they would be a better choice. The leaders can hardly keep up with their jobs! Myself included! :)

Thanks for the input!

I just pulled out my unit renewal application instructions. In it it states for Pack registration: "Packs must have:....Two committee members, or one committe member and one Pack trainer..." These are two positions that a person does NOT hold another position that is stated on the charter.

I do (as CC of my pack) require one den leader from each den to attend the committee meeting, and if they can not attend they need to get one of their parents to attend. Back in the beginning, when I first started as CC, no one would show up, and I found I was doing 6 committee meetings by phone, and it was way too time consuming, and not fair to my family. I found there was too much information each month that each leader would need to know what was going on, and just find it much easier when they attend. By requiring the leaders to attend, we also found out how great we all work together bouncing ideas off of each other, and that we also put on a much better pack meeting each month working together!

Good luck to your unit!

Jens3sons

Jens3sons, how do you get den leaders to show up at committee meetings? I've begged and pleaded with them, but still one den is not being represented at committee meetings.

seed, good luck finding committee members who aren't den leaders. I'm still working on that. I'm both CC and Bear leader, and I can tell you it's very, very hard to do both well. I do think it would be okay for someone to be both assistant den leader and committee member, as long as they have only a minor role in running the den.

Committee meetings, with only "voting" committee members attending, are a thing of the past. Per National, what should be happening is that Packs hold monthly Pack Leader's Meetings. These meetings are attended by the COR, CC, Cubmaster, all committee members, den leaders & all assistant leaders. This group, TOGETHER, plans all Pack activities, including the monthly Pack meetings.

mbscoutmom, don't beg or plead with your absent den leaders. Simply inform them that it is NOT optional. Let them know that there HAS to be at least 1 leader, or parent, from the den at each Leader's Meeting or their den will not be included in the planning.

ScoutNut is right, the pack leaders should be conducting a monthly meeting that includes all adult den and pack leaders. The committee chare leads the meeting. You should also provide an open invite to your UC to attend.

The meeting should evaluate the prior month's den and pack activities, plan them for the current month, den leaders should be reporting on advancement progress for their dens and on their awards needs, dues shouldbe turned in, time should be spent planning ahead on long-lead items, leadership enhancement and training opportunities should be discussed, and there should be a little social time too.

Adults trying to perform multiple roles in a unit, whether they are registered or not, is a recipe for failure. One person can do ONE job well, or two jobs half-way, or less. There are those that attempt this and will claim it can be done, but look closely and you will find that parts of both jobs are being skipped over.

Mbscoutmom,

Like I said, I got tired of doing about 6 committee meetings over the phone! I got a bit upset at one pack meeting where I had asked for one parent to volunteer one day, that I didn't know what was required yet, but I would get back to them in the future about it, just please say you could be at my disposal for that day. One mom took up 30 minutes of a pack meeting with endless questions that I didn't have the answer for. Finally in frustration I had said (at that point I was also "acting" cubmaster), "Look my name is in these notes 11 times for questions to please contact me, I have devoted 17 hrs this week to scouting alone, and that isn't even including the hours I need to put in tomorrow as well! I NEED some help!!!" People were a lot more sympathetic after that. Every once in a while I do not have a den in attendance, (like tonight) but now the committee meeting minutes of the meeting are posted on our website, and the leaders can always get the info from there. Like I said, if I can't get them to attend, I ask they send one of their parents in their stead. Tonight was just a bunch of unfortunate circumstances that there was no time to ask one of the parents to attend instead.

FScouter---man do I hear you! I went from taking over a pack that one woman did it ALL...nothing was ever done completely. There are still some positions I am trying to fill, but it sure is a LOT easier than it was! Just wish I could get my parents to understand that I am also "doing my best"! In fact I was about to place another post asking if anyone has a completely "ideal" unit out there...guess this wasn't one of the best committee meetings tonight and feeling a little blue at the moment. Need another "positive" scouting experience to wash away the taste in my mouth after tonight...all because the treasurer didn't show up tonight! Sorry ranted long enough!

• 5 weeks later...

Funny.. I am the COR for our pack and a committee member, I was told from Council that "legally" I can not have other registered roles in the Pack. We have den leaders that are committee members as well (parents dont volunteer)....

ALSO the Executive officer also can carry more then one role in the pack. This is from the recharter i just completed.

I've had some luck recruiting the people that want to work behind the scenes. For example, a mom that wanted to help coordinate our B&G banquet was later asked to be on the committee year round. She agreed. You sometimes have to look for the "not so obvious" people. The obvious ones are the ones that are already volunteering for PTA, Soccer, Church and are helping out their den leader. Look for those that don't want to stand up in front of the kids, but may have good organization skills, or may work better in a small group.

rixkidz, you were told correctly -- the COR may legally register as CC or MC, but not as CM, ACM, DL or ADL.

The IH may register as CM, ACM, DL, or ADL (as long as the IH isn't also the COR), or as COR and CC / MC.

IH is not a registered position in BSA, therefore if the IH registers as a den leader, he or she is not double-registered, and so does not violate the rule against dual-registration.

Only the COR may dual register, and then only as COR and CC or COR and MC. If the IH is also the COR, the IH can be COR and CC or the IH can be COR and MC. But this is not three BSA positions because IH doesn't count.

Clear as mud?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't realize there were Packs that actually had committee members who weren't also leaders! Must be nice! In the 7 years that my family has been involved with our Pack, most leaders have had to take on a second position. Our comm. meetings include the CM, ACM, CC, at least one DL from each den, and the Treasurer. Unfortunately, no has been willing to be CC, so I have been a DL and CC for 4 years, now. I agree, that I can't do all I should as CC. Since I don't work outside the home, Cub Scouts has become a part-time unpaid job for me. I must admit I am getting burned out. My younger son will cross over to Boy Scouts a year from this Feb., and I am looking forward to that! Also, for the past 3 years, our CM has been a DL. Our Treasurer is also my Asst. DL. Our COR isn't interested in being involved with us at all.