First webelos meeting!

Hi all,

Well I have posted before that my son is brand new to scouting and suddenly I was leading it! (hmm wonder how that happens! lol) Anyway, we had our first meeting last night and it was sooo great. My husband came to help me and he is in the army. The subject was the flag. He had them standing at attention, showing respect for the flag, folding it correctly. He also had them doing pushups, jumping jacks, running in place. They were totally eating it up!!! We also did the code of conduct candle thing and made a ceremony of it and they made up their own rules.

We had 5 boys there (2 could not make it). One of the parents told me that his boy was going to quit scouting and his dad said, "let's give it one more try with this new leader" He told me after the meeting that he does not think his son will quit after all the fun he had tonight.

I know not all nights will be like this one but this one sure was special.

*beams*

Robin,

Congrats on such a wonderful Den Meeting. Your enthusiasm will go a long way in helping ensure your boys have a great experience as Webelos Scouts. It is fantastic that the Scout thinking of quitting has changed his mind.

Keep up the hard work and FUN and enjoy every minute of being a Den Leader. I sure did - Tigers thru Webelos for both my sons.

Karen

My3sonz,

I agree, a great meeting will keep your spirits going, and help with not burning out. I am sure each of the 7 boys in your den really appreciate you taking an interest in them and maintaining their den! Just a suggestion; the boy who wanted to quit, and now his father doesn't think he will; I would suggest talking to the father about what wasn't working for the boy and what his suggestion are for the den. It might also be a huge door opening for you to find an assistant den leader ;-) (quite possibly the way you got roped into it...hehe) Good luck, and don't forget to use your sorces out there, and attend your roundtable meetings!

Jens3sons

Thanks for the responses :)

In regard to asking the dad to be the asst.leader, well he already is the asst pack leader. Our pack is very small and is struggling just to survive. However, we do have some GREAT kids and I know it will start to grow. My husband and I have never been in scouts and we do not do much camping (well except when he is out in the field with the Army) so this is a constant source of amusement for us trying to figure this all out!

Again thank you for the welcome. It is great to find such a great community here.