Wolf Arrow Points

Can a wolf earn arrow points before they earn their wolf badge? The den leader seems to think so. The bear book specifically forbids getting arrow points before finishing the bear badge, but the Wolf book doesn't. How do you all handle it?

Carole

Awards chair

Arrow points cannot be awarded until the Wolf badge is earned, however, they can be worked on and signed off. It is not unusual for a boy to be awarded at least a gold arrow point with his badge of rank. Many of the electives are things he might be doing in school or in sports or whatever. The only requirement is that he must have done them as a Cub Scout of the correct age/grade (no going back to that trip to the fire station in kindergarten or that roller skating party in first grade).

BTW - Tiger, Wolf & Bear electives are all the same in this regard. The boys can work on them from the time they graduate from their prior level until they graduate to their next level, but they can not RECEIVE the actual elective recognition item (bead or arrow point) until they have earned their rank badge for their current level. Boys who do not ever reach rank will not only miss the rank badge, but also the bead or arrow point(s) they would have received.

Yes, working on and receiving/earning/awarding (however you want to put it) is the distinction here as molscouter and ScoutNut mentioned.

I always encourage Electives be worked on along with Achievments. DLs will find that many Electives can be combined with Achievments to make the activity more interesting as well as getting more signed off in the book and allowing the boys to earn more arrow points.

Jerry

Thank you for your replies. The den leader says she didn't read it that way but will do whatever. I've put in an e-mail to our district commissioner just to get some "authority". I told the den leader that since the arrow points get sewed on under the badge it really didn't make sense to put them on the uniform before the badge. I think she was just excited that they did all that stuff on their camping trip and wanted to give the boys instant rewards.

Carole

Hopefuly this was a PACK camping trip!

Why not get them a "fun" patch for their patch vest as recognition? Do you use the curved segments? There are lots of those to pick from & they are very cheap. Maybe the boys could even get more than 1 each.

I would tell the DL to re-read the Wolf book.

Page 6 (2003)"Arrow points are presented at the Pack meeting after he receives his Wolf badge."

it continues...

"Completing electives for Arrow Points generally should wait until until after he has completed his Wolf badge, and he cannot receive Arrow Point until after he has been awarded his Wolf badge."

I think it is pretty clear and the book should be definitive enough.

I would then tell Torveaux to go back and re-read his Wolf book and not to select words from a paragraph by leaving out the remaining portions. (is this where the Scout police come in and warn about interpretation of the written rules?)

it continues...

"He might, however, find some electives that he could be completing before he earns his Wolf badge. Some of the activities in "Sports," Wolf elective 20, might be examples. As long as he completes these electives after he has earned his Bobcat, you may credit him for them, but be sure to keep him focused on the 12 achievements until he completes them."

Lets not forget, as of June 1, all Cub Scouts move up in rank level. So a Tiger moves to a Wolf den on this date and may now start earning rank towards his Wolf (or any other move from rank to rank for example). Hence, when a boy goes to summer camp, he is working on tasks towards Achievements and Electives that are appropriate for that rank. The stipulation being, the boy cannot receive an arrow point until AFTER he receives his Wolf badge. Therefore, after being handed his Wolf badge at a Pack meeting, he could then be handed the appropriate gold arrow point and any other silver arrow points he has accomplished the required number of credits for.

Electives 13 and 19 are other good examples that could be done prior to earning a Wolf badge. It is a good item to do in the late spring, summer and early fall and credit can also go towards the CSWCA.