How to use your Den Chief

I need to come up with a lession plan for a course called "How to use your Den Chief" for our Scouting University

Here is a course description:

How to Use Your Den Chief Whos a Cub Scout leaders best friend? It should be the Den Chief! Discover what a Den Chief is and how he can help YOU run an exciting den program. This trained Boy Scout role model plays a very important role on the leadership team.

Any ideas or pointers to web pages to find information

Kevin is Star almost Life and is a Den Chief. The DL is having him help the boys with their Readyman. He is teaching the first aid portion right now. I would highly recommend that they take Den Chief Training. Kevin is taking his in about 3 weeks.

By the way. He loves being a Den Chief.

Can I join your class? ;)

Seriously though, admittedly, I am very ignorant in the use of Den Chiefs. Would it be recommended that, as a CM, I take Den Chief training? I am assuming that it would be recommended for gaining DLs for sure.

Going to check out those links now WDleader...

Den Chief training can be done for both adults and Den Chiefs. At our last district training session, the class was maybe 2/3 Boy Scouts, and 1/3 Scouters. It was the one class that had the broadest possible audience...Boy Scouts, Boy Scout Leaders, Cub Scout Leaders.

If you don't have the opportunity to take the class, grab the Den Chief Handbook. It'll give you a pretty good overview.

Oak Tree

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am a new member. But I have a little bit of resources I would like to share. I have given Den Chief training twice in the last year. And I am to give it again at our University of Scouting. As one of the choices being with the merit badges classes for the Boy Scouts.

I found the Den Chief Training booklet when I was looking over the Scoutmasters Junior Leader training kit. My oldest was getting ready to become the SPL for his troop. Under resources I found Den Chief Training,(No.34450B). With this and some info i got from on-line.I produced/reproduced the info I needed to give this training to the Scouts.

Den Chief was one of my favorite jobs I held when I was a boy scout...

I'll admit up front that I was never trained specifically as a Den Chief (was one for four years, but was forced to stop because the district made it a requirement for all den chiefs, but never bothered to train any). Basically, what I did the first year (with a group of bears) was plan activities to help further a broader plan set by the Den Leader. The following two years were spent with them as Webelos and then another year with the next batch of Webelos (1st and 2nd year Webelos were combined during this period in my old pack due to numbers, I think). Working with the Webelos, the den leader basically was there as the adult in charge and left it to me to plan and execute den activities (much like the Den Mother/Den Chief relationship of the original Cub Scouting program, in a fashion).

Now that I've been a den leader and am serving as an assistant cubmaster, I probably would use a den chief in much the same fashion as I served in my first year. Have the den leader plan the direction things go in, and then the den chief makes it happen, with the den leader making sure that the plan is followed through on.(This message has been edited by Kaji)