BALOO vs. OWL training

Would you believe the CFC website had the wrong date? I got the information and the date is in MARCH, not February.

Any other Baloo classes within 4 hours of Orlando in February? Let me know. Otherwise our camping will have to wait for warmer (in this case VERY HOT) weather.

BaldEagle,

WELCOME!!!

Just as Scoutnut sent you to your council's website - you should go visit neighboring Councils' sites. 4 hours is a long way - I'm sure that would cross into neighboring councils. Your own Council should be able to help you with this -- or try the national BSA site and plug in zip codes just outside your Council's borders.

If there isn't a training planned, go talk to your Council/District Training Chairs and see if they can pull one together for you -- expecially if you help organize it, and gather some other Scouters to make the class worth their efforts. Because Cub Leader turnover is so great it's good to have several Outdoor trained leaders.

Another alternative is to see if they have BALOO already scheduled and work with them to add WOLT to the occasion. -- Again, volunteer to be supportive and it might tip the balance.

Good Luck - have fun!

jd

Another idea - call your Council Training Chair & get a list of BALOO trained individuals from Packs in your area. Then find one who will be willing to help you with your Pack's camping trip. They will have to agree to having their name on the Tour Permit, attending the campout & helping you put it together & run it.

This way you can camp while the weather is still good & attend the training in March.

Lisabob, I do plan to take OLS when we cross over to Boy Scouts, as well as stay active in the Pack as ACM (probably a de facto ADL for a Bear den too). I didn't learn much at OWL because I was the only one who was there. Several others signed up and paid, but didn't show, and BALOO was to happen at the same time and place, so I ended up helping the trainer with some of the BALOO training.

BTW & FWIW, I was a Scout for 4 years (1st Class) with almost 100 nights in a tent and almost 25% of those were sub-freezing, so much of the material was like a refresher.

Almost none of our leadership wears any knots. Not sure if they don't wear them, haven't earned them, or don't care about turning in the papers. I would have the AoL knot, but the district office can't (or don't want to) find record of it. I earned it back in '80, but their system isn't computerized that far back. Other than going to powwow or U of S, I have completed all neccessary requirements for WDL knot. Granted, the knots can look impressive, but other threads have addressed the "fruit salad" issue.