BALOO vs. OWL training

I'm a WEB2 DL and had BALOO training last year. Our district is now offering OWL (Outdoor Webelos Leader)training. I signed up for the training in my district that is taking place at the end of October.I have another Cub as a Wolf, so I'll still use the info. I asked our former CM what OWL was and he didn't know, the district (then council) having discontinued it some 6-7 years ago, in favor of BALOO. I know they are different, but was hoping for an explanation of the differences. After this training I'm looking into Woodbadge training. (I just hope that I'm not more into Scouting than my sons are into Scouting!)

Thanks for any and all information (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

BALOO, which is the acronym for Cub Scout Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation, is a full day course designed for all new Cub Scout leaders and parents of Cub Scouts. This training is designed to provide the initial and basic information adults need to successfully take a PACK overnight camping. As such, it is designed to focus on the requirements for boys of Cub Scout age. BALOO training gives each trainee information on equipment, health and safety, first aid, campfires, locating campsites, outdoor cooking, and much more.

Webelos Leader Outdoor Training(WLOT is the current name although some councils are keeping the OWL name) focuses on teaching the new Webelos Leader how to prepare for, plan and run a quality outdoor event for Webelos aged Scouts. Conducted in an outdoor environment, the course can be either an all day event or may include an overnight campout. Webelos Leader Outdoor Training builds on information taught in BALOO and gives more detained information on equipment, health and safety, first aid, campfires, locating campsites, outdoor cooking, and much more.

Basicly, WLOT goes into more specifics for running a WEBELOS DEN campout. It also goes into the outdoor activity badges.

I have taken and taught both as well as Introduction to Outdoor Skills. BALOO is much more paper work based. Where OWL is more skills based.

Both are good but I truly prefer OWL.

Another great training is the Outdoor Skills gives as part of Boy Scout LEader Training. We call it 4 Winds others have other names for it.

It is one week night with New LEader Basics. A full day on a Saturday for Leader Specific then a weekend for Introduction to Outdoor Skills.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are already a W2 den leader and planning to stay active as a leader when your son crosses over into Boy Scouts, have you considered taking Outdoor Leader Skills (OLS) for boy scout leaders?

I know this isn't the usual route. But really, if you'll only be in the cub program a few more months, it might make more sense. In our council at least, people are encouraged to take OWL (or whatever the heck we're calling it today) at the beginning of the W1 program, or even as bear leaders, for just this reason. Besides, if you're going to do woodbadge, you may find having OLS is helpful (though not absolutely necessary).

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

• 2 months later...

Our council calls the OWL training "WOLF" which stands for Webelos Outdoor Leader Fundamentals. It's confusing, though, because it sounds at first like it is a training for Wolf leaders. Our BALOO is for all cub leaders, and at least one leader must hold this qualification when doing outdoor activiites as a Pack, such as an all Pack campout. WOLF should be taken at the end of the Leader's Bear year, or the beginning of Web. 1. This is required if a Web. leader wants to take the Webelos on a campout, but also has lots of helpful info. for Webelos in general.

Actually, as ManassasEagle noted, there is a new training for Webelos leaders that National put out last year. Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, No. 13-33640. Don't know what combo of letters councils will use for this one!

Whatever it is called though, National still does not REQUIRE it for Webelos Den camping. It is another case of the "should" vs "must". BALOO "must" be taken by whoever is running a Pack campout. Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders "should" be taken by a Webelos leader before taking his Webelos den camping.

Of course, your council might have made it mandatory, but National has not, & it is not listed on the BSA tour permits.

IN Scouter, welcome to the Forums. In order to earn the WDL "knot", you must take WLOT / OWL during your tenure as a WDL, so I recommend you go ahead and take it.

I second the suggestion that take IOLS, especially if you plan to be an ASM whe n your son crosses over.

You say your Council hasn't offered WLOT for six years? How did WDLs in your Council qualify for the knot if the required training wasn't offered?

I really need this training so we can camp as a pack in the next two months.

Anywhere within 4 hours drive of Orlando would be great. Anyone know if that training will be given soon? HELP!!

Thank you.

PS: My first post! Cool.

Welcome BaldEagle!

For training you should first contact your council to see what they have coming up.

According to the Cub Scout Training Bulletin Board, at the Central Florida Council website, they are holding a BALOO training on Sat, 02/18/06, 8:30am - 4pm, hosted by the Lake District.

http://training.cfcbsa.org/cs_bulletin_board.html#baloo

Hope this helps!

Yes it is. From the Progress Record for the Webelos Den Leader Award:

TRAINING

-Complete The New Webelos Den Leader Fast Start training.

-Complete basic training for Webelos den leaders.

-Complete Youth Protection Training.

-Complete outdoor training for Webelos den leaders.

-During your tenure for this award, participate in a Cub Scout leader pow wow or University of Scouting, or attend at least four roundtables.

I added the emphasis.

SWScouter

mia culpa, mia culpa, mia culpa

I believe it used to be in the list of "do 7 of these" or whatever the number was...didn't realize they had changed the requirements.

That said...for many years, the training material wasn't even available! We had it in our council only because someone tracked down an OLD copy (and it was the most current one printed) and started it up again!

However, there seems to be a renewed emphasis on the Webelos program, and National is coming up with some great supplemental materials...and NEW training materials for Webelos Outdoor is now available...so councils no longer have an excuse to not provide this training! Call your SE and badger them! Find out who your District Training Chair is and ask them...