First pack meeting-arrgh!

Last night was our pack's first pack meeting of the year, held one week after Cub Scout registration night at our school. If I were the parent of a new boy, instead of a first year Webelos Scout, I probably would be thinking twice about having my son in this pack.

Our Webelos 1 den leader, who is also the treasurer (and probably our COR, too, since she's president of the PTO), was signing up new Scouts, taking money, and handing out information packets. Boys were running around--most of them not in uniform (I could see the new guys not having their uniforms yet, but only three or four of the returning Scouts were in any part of their uniform). In fact, one little guy (a friend of my son) is new to the pack and showed up with his shirt, neckerchief, slide, and hat on. By the time the meeting ended and he saw that almost no one else was in uniform, he had taken them all off so he would look like the rest of the boys. I was so sad.

Our Cubmaster finally got the meeting started about 15 minutes late. There was no opening flag ceremony or anything. He was not in uniform--just jeans and a "Tommy Jeans" t-shirt. He admitted to the assembled families that while he was the Cubmaster, he really just stood up there to make announcements and keep the boys in line, but that the "little lady at the table over there" (our treasurer/Web 1 den leader) was the person who really kept things running. Just what to say to inspire confidence, right?

He talked about pack meetings and den meetings, and popcorn (on and on about popcorn). He told everyone when the next pack meeting was (it's a hayride/bonfire in two weeks--and I can GUARANTEE you that there is no "program" planned because we did it last year). Then he pointed out corners of the gym for the various dens to meet and get to know one another, and when folks had finished meeting with their dens, that was it for the evening.

Our den has four new boys in it, but our den leader only popped over for about 30 seconds to make sure the new folks knew where the Scout store was for buying uniforms and books, and that folks had the den newsletter. (Our first den meeting isn't until October 13, and we're only having two den meetings, plus the pack meeting, each month. How she thinks she's going to get all the Webelos achievements done on that schedule is beyond me!) The boys goofed around with each other and we went home. Total elapsed time--30 minutes.

I was not inspired. I was disgusted. My husband just laughed at me and said, "There's probably an opening for an assistant Cubmaster, honey." I think what they really need is a committee chair (right now, the Cubmaster is the committee chair). Not that the committee was even mentioned last night--just listed in the newsletter we got. Of course, there was no notice of when the committee meetings are, or that parents are invited (because I can assure you, no one has ever brought that little factoid up in the two years this guy has been Cubmaster).

So, how do I jump in and try to help make this pack into something I can be proud that my son is part of? (My oldest boy, a Life Scout and SPL of his troop, came out of this pack through a different Cubmaster, and believe me, it was a different pack back them.)

Any suggestions? Thanks for listening to my rant.

Elizabeth

If you want the first Pack meeting of the year to run smooth you better think again. I have been working with scouting for more years than I sometimes want to admit. That first one is always a total mess. Next meeting will be better.

You have the same problem many packs have, a few people doing everything. They are burned out. The Cubmaster sounds like he has the job because no one else wanted it. The committee exists on paper only. There probably isn't a real committee. Names may have been on there for years. Have you asked the CM/CC what you can do do help? Unless the guy is a complete egomaniac, he will welcome the help. Do you know other parents, particularly those with sons in the younger ranks or will soon have sons in those ages, who can be recruited to help? Check with the den leaders to see whose parents have shown interest in their son's scouting. The problem is parents who won't get involved. Your husband hit on the answer, don't be a part of the problem, help with a solution.

Arghh is right! While I agree that the first pack meeting is not often a thing of beauty, I would be very frustrated if this were my pack. Starting late is understandable, but the CM showing up 15 minutes late is pretty sad, and not in uniform to boot! There's really no excuse for the things you mention. CM is also the CC? Can't be, according to the rules. Someone else has to be officially registered as CC.

If this is the norm for your CM, I think it's time for either a new CM or a new pack.

And here I am obsessing about my first Pack meeting this year (Sunday afternoon). /Smile

What you described as a Pack meeting sounds more like our recruiting night, which is a bit...um...understructured, though our Den Chiefs in training did their best and 2 boys will be getting their marbles beltloops.

While our Pack meetings may not always be the best, and we almost always start a little late, we never skimp on the Flags or the boys. Uniforming is encouraged, with the Cubmaster (me) at least in uniform shirt. I always have something, at every Pack meeting, that might be considered fun. The boys don't like to do skits or to come up and sing, but we do have some jokesters, so that is encouraged.

However, the comment about burn out is also spot on. I told the Pack last year that I was leaving at the end of this charter year (December for us). I am totally burnt out and its time for someone else to step up and contribute to their son's program, not simply be a bystander (sorry, that's a vent at my group, not meant towards anybody here).

Good luck with your Pack.

Michelle

CM - P102

Starwolfmom, Be afraid, be very very afraid.

First off the hat rack mom cannot do that. As a den leader she cannot be the CR or a committee person such as treasurer. As the CR she cannot be a den leader or committee member but she could be the committee chair.

The Cubmasters #! job is to plan and lead the pack meetings. If he isn't going to do that then there is no point in him being a cubmaster.

At your next leaders meeting I suggest you get a discussion going of what went well at this activity and what could have gone better. Then ask WHO is going to take responsibility for seeing that the improvements take place.

Good luck, I am afraid you may need it.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Good advice so far - games, skits, songs, getting involved, etc. Don't accept that because it is the first meeting, it should lack the excitement and entertainment of subsequent ones.

As far as the uniforms go, I will add this - it is one of my pet peeves. However, we do something that works well. At each Pack Meeting, as each boy enters the cafeteria (where we hold our pack meetings) we do a uniform inspection. A boy can earn 4 points if they are properly wearing their shirts, have a neckerchief and slide, their uniform is clean and they are clean (face, hair combed, hands). They get a bonus point if they wear a hat (which we do not require). At the end of the year, if the boys amass a certain number of points, they get a Uniform Inspection Patch.

Alot of the success behind this is probably a result of the boys not wanting to be told that face-to-face that they are getting a 0 or 1 because they aren't properly dressed. My son spent a whole afternoon, without my prompting, looking for his hat just so he could have it for the inspections. This also provides us an attendance record and helps us determine active/inactive scouts.

Good luck!

Jerry

Whew! Sounds like quite a challenge. A couple of thoughts....

Even tho 1st nights are usually not as smooth as some might like, they usually aren't that bad. Sounds like no planning was done, and that's the CMs job.

As far as "jobs" go, the reality is that people take multiple jobs all the time, but a few really can't be shared from a registration perspective. Aside from the "rules" about positions, the BSA registration software can't handle people holding multiple positions. So, you might be the treasurer and be a den leader in the reality of your pack, but in the eyes of the BSA registration software, you can only be one thing. From a practical standpoint, tho, having the same person be the CM and CC is not a good idea. For one thing, your registration won't be accepted. For another, you have no "balance of power" in your pack.

And, not that BSA training is the cure all for all problems, but you really ought to get your leaders trained. I can't believe that they are given what you've written.

As far as what you can do.....

Two possibilities, I think. One is to convince the CM that he can only take one job, hope he takes the CC job, and move in as the CM yourself. Sounds like from a pack needs perspective, that might be the ideal situation. The CC is more of a behind the scenes job, and the CM determines what the pack "looks like" to the world.

Things can improve, but your CM has to realize that if he's going to be the CM, he can't point to "the lady in the corner" for what goes on at pack night. That's his job.

I agree with most of the suggestions of the previous posters, but I have to wonder...

Your son is a Web 1- and presumeably you were happy with the Bear den he was in- what happened this summer?

It sounds like the pack had a melt-down. :ost a few good leaders, emergency recruitment of some fill-ins, and a lot of scrambling.

How far are you personally willing to go to help? It sounds like every leader you mentioned needs training and either replacement or a good assistant.

The good news is that we have seen packs go from this to wonder units in a few months- a little training, some leader recruitment, some planning, and viola!

This sounds like our Pack when I got "roped" into being CM three years ago. Someone suggested training & planning and I'd say they're spot-on. If you're willing to take over as CM, or even to be an Asst. CM, I'm sure the current CM would welcome the help.

As a former CM, I think Asst. CM is a good role if you want to effect some change without creating a lot of friction. I was always willing to take on ACM's and let them run with their ideas for improving the Pack program. Volunteer to be ACM, and take on training as your goal for the year. Or maybe putting together a small manual documenting plans for the various events your Pack holds (registration night included!)..."plan-in-a-can" would go a long ways towards alleviating the problems you've described. (FWIW...I've been trying to achieve this myself for 3 years now, but not yet there. Still on my goals list, though!!)

mark

Madkins asked if I was satisfied during my son's Bear year. Well, actually, no I wasn't, but it was the CM's first year and I was willing to cut him some slack. But after reading on this board what good pack meetings can be like, I just got more and more frustrated.

When the pack had a meeting at the local laser tag emporium, and I pointed out before the meeting that this violated the G2SS, I was brushed off and told that the council had approved the tour permit, so it must be okay.

I'm involved in my older son's troop as a committee member and part of the Webelos-to-Scout transition team (mostly with trying to get boys from my younger son's pack interested in joining our troop), but more and more, I'm thinking that maybe I need to pull back on involvement in number 1 son's troop and get involved in number 3 son's pack. (Number 2 son is not a Scout--I also have an almost-3-year-old daughter).

What was that Eamonn was saying about "busy people"? Sigh.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I hate to sound negative, for I love Cubs, but your situation sounds very familiar. If you have already been brushed off over the G2SS, and if someone is willing to do so much (that little lady), you may meet with more resistance. The CM has to want to put on a program or it won't happen, not even with a good assistant. The committee has to want to the right thing by following the G2SS or it won't happen, no matter how much it is encouraged. However, if the other leaders would actually LIKE to have a Cub Scouting program, then the outcome is more promising. I'd caution against just jumping into this, but instead think long and hard about who the leaders are and how willing to follow the program they are. It can be a lonely place to be, as well as very frustrating, when you are committed to the program but others are not--and sometimes even scoff at it. If you've heard, "but this works for us", "the program isn't that important, after all the boys are having fun", or comments like this, they should send up red flags. Your son should be happy in Cubs; so should his family. Good luck!

I know how you feel. Last year, our Weebloes Leader showed up to only one Cmmt. meeting, Bear, one meeting, the only regulars were the Pack leader, and Committe Chair. Half way through the year, the Committe Chair would not answer the phone, return messages, our address the fact that we would have to recruit new leaders for the following year. We still do not have anyone for Wolf for this year. I have come so close to blowing a gasket, I have almost blown up several times.

I have thought several times of pulling my son out, and look for another Pack. I just don't want to show him a quiter. Also as the Bear Den Leader, I do not want to leave the boys in my den leaderless. All I can say, is to take a possition, and lead by example. Put the others in the possition to produce the best program that they can.