Portable Flagpole Plans????

I know I've seen plans on the net (someplace) for a portable flagpole made with PVC pipe. I seem to remember that it used 1 - 10' lenght of 3" dia. PVC and 1 - 10' length of 2" dia. PVC. I just can't remeber where I saw it. I thought it was from a link in a SCOUTER.NET forum.

The reason, I'm asking is to see about building one for our Pack Overnighters and/or outdoor activities, so we can have a flag raising/lowering ceremony, mainly for the benefit of the Wolf Cubs to satisfy achievements 2e-f.

Thanks,

jw_elder77

Wolf Leader - Pack 935

I agree with Anarchist. Go to Home Depot, or similar, and get two 8' lodge poles (in the garden section). Get a small piece of wood you can screw on for a cleat and then a lag screw with a hoop for the top. Shear lash the poles together. Get three stakes and some rope to hold the pole up. Caribiners or some clips work well for attaching the flag to the halyard.

SWScouter

I think this may be the link to which you were referring JW. Its called Perfectly Versatile Campsite. The plans are available to make a table, wash stand, flag pole, etc.

http://www.gspiglet.org/pvc.htm

I'm looking at doing something similar for our Wolves as they would have to learn to tie their shoes before moving on to lashings...1 out of 3 can tie....we will get to the knots a bit later.

Michelle

CM P102

jw-elder77,

How about having them, raising the Flag at school, the day of their den meeting or Pack meeting, they could even wear their uniforms to school? How about going to an American Legion and doing a flag ceremony, or even City Hall.

msmownman,

try shoe string licorice red and black for knot trying

Thanks all, so far. msnowman hit the nail on the head. Until they can tie shoes, teaching them other knots and lashing would probably be futile.

msnowman - that's not the flagpole I remember seeing. The one I remember would have been about 20' tall. The message with the link was talking about overnighters where there was no existing flagpole and they wanted to do a flag raising ceremony.

seabear - I would consider that except I've got boys from 2 or 3 different schools in my den.

When I read your subject line, I flashed back to an old Boy Scout Handbook section on Patrol Camping, where they suggested that the first thing a patrol do when setting camp is to run up the US and their patrol flags.

The cool part was, since this was backpacking, they used improvised flagpoles. The one I remember being shown was just tossing a rope up in a high branch and making a loop, then staking out/tying off the lower end.

I also vaguely remember some really tall flagpoles lashed out of long spars- but this is probably pretty far outside the Wolf Cub's ability level!

jw_elder77,

first the sheer lash is actually easier than tying you own shoes (check it out) a hitch, wrap around a bunch followed by another clove hitch...

course you could just pick up two different sized pieces of plastic water pipe and glue a threaded screw coupling on both ends...if you can find the right pipe sizes and a "reducing" coupling you can make it so one pole slides nearly all the way into the first piece...however at "twenty feet" it ain't gonna be terribly stiff...most plastic pipe is fairly flexible in ten foot lengths (at twenty feet it might have a bit of a curve in it...

just my $3.25 per gallon worth

anarchist

jw_elder77

The leader that designed this pole will put it on our website within a week. You should be able to download it if you want. It cost him around $50 mostly for the rope, and weighs a lot less than a wooden pole.If you find some modifications work better please let us know so we can update ours as well. I'll contact you as soon as we get it up on site. Good Luck!

k