When Can Arrow of Light be Worn?

acco40, your statement used to be true. The Arrow of Light was previously listed as placed on the left pocket flap. But that is no longer true in the more recent editions of the Insignia Guide (2003-2005) or the Webelos book. It's now in the same place as in Boy Scouts.

Both diamond and oval Webelos badges are available, but the Webelos book says that the oval badge and the Arrow of Light patch only go on the tan shirt.

It's all like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin as far as my pack is concerned...the boys have always received the award at their last Cub Scout meeting. But if someone wanted to get it earlier, they could. And they could wear it, as long as they'd moved up to the tan shirt, where they'd put it below the pocket.

Oak Tree

The shirt color is optional. But the oval Webelos badge and the Arrow of Light patch are only approved on the tan shirt.

I'm all for using your best judgement in deciding how to apply the rules, and there are no uniform police, so do what you think is best. But if the boy is going to cross into Boy Scouts, it seems like you may as well buy the tan shirt.

Here are the quotes from the Webelos book:

There are two different Webelos rank badges...

1. A tan oval-shaped cloth badge with an embroidered Webelos symbol. This badge is worn on the tan uniform shirt.

After earning the Arrow of Light Award, a Webelos Scout who chooses to wear the tan shirt and oval Webelos badge may wear the Arrow of Light Award below the left pocket, as it is worn in Boy Scouting.

This is consistent with the Insignia Guide diagram

Oak Tree

• 2 months later...

All,

Let me throw a small wrench in the AOL thread.

Say my scout earns the AOL and bridges to Scouts. Hopefully by Blue & Gold 2007, and I want to present him a shadow box of his Cub achievements.

Since he earned the AOL as a cub scout and the uniform

in the shadow box is his blue shirt, where does

the Arrow of Light go?

Also if he earned the triangle Tiger patch how

do I fit that and the Triangle Webelos patch?

Thanks,

Jeff

I will assume that when he crosses to BS in 02/07, he will be wearing a tan shirt with the oval Webelos badge on the left pocket & the AOL beneath. Otherwise he would be shirtless or wearing a shadowbox! LOL

The shadowbox is to display his Cub awards, not to meet BSA uniforming standards. You have to find the room to fit a number of things in there that are not normally worn on the shirt. Since you will have to purchase an extra Webelos & AOL badge anyway, get the oval one, it will look nicer. Put the oval Webelos, with the AOL under it, next to the pocket with the other ranks.

• 3 years later...

To those that are asking where to put the Arrow of Light insignia on the blue shirt, we are putting it centered on the pocket, below the arrow points. It makes the most sense; it follows the uniform regulations and it follows the top to bottom awards theme.

For those who wonder why anybody would bother putting the Arrow of Light Award on the blue shirt; it's because the blue shirt is a display of all of your sons achievements. Remember how proud he was of all those arrow points? He earned them, show them off! Plus, remember how long it took to sew those patches on? Congralations son you just got 1 gold and 6 silver arrow points! Too bad you can't show them off, we've gotten you a tan shirt! Don't be so quick to move to the tan shirt unless the blue shirt doesn't fit anymore.

Hang on to that blue shirt...think what your Grandkids will say some day when they see their Dad's uniform and he was stacked with fruit salad (awards) like Chesty Puller (legendary Marine)!

"To those that are asking where to put the Arrow of Light insignia on the blue shirt, we are putting it centered on the pocket, below the arrow points. It makes the most sense; it follows the uniform regulations and it follows the top to bottom awards theme."

Incorrect, for the blue shirt, it is worn centered on the left pocket flap. The rank diamonds may also be worn on tan shirt, all of them if wanted. The oval Webelos may only be worn on the tan shirt, with the AoL badge centered below the left pocket if earned. If in doubt, the link below is for the Inspection sheet from the National Council website.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34282.pdf

I was a Webelos den leader in 3-2003 when the den I led crossed over. At the crossover/B&G, I obtained the AOL pin for the boys out of my own pocket (the pack picked up the cost for ONLY the cloth AOL).

I felt the use of the pin was beneficial as it allowed the scouts to have their AOL visible and in the correct place for at least one last time...whether in tan or blue uniform shirts.

And by using the AOL pin, I could have the scouts mom or dad present their son with Cub Scoutings highest award...a great memory for them.

As a Scoutmaster now, when one of my Scouts earns his First Class rank, I will purchase the large 1st Class pin on my own...the troop gets the Scout his cloth rank emblem. I look forward to presenting those pins.