When Can Arrow of Light be Worn?

I was sitting in a Webelo Den Leader training class a few weeks back and the trainer stated that the AOL can be earned by a Webelo but not worn until he has crossed over into Boy Scouts. This makes no sense to me, and I'm wondering if someone has the official word from a BSA document that I can reference.

It can be worn as soon as it is earned. See the uniform inspection sheet that National has online, for it shows the placement of the Arrow of Light insignia on the Webelos shirt:

http://www.scouting.org/forms/34282.pdf

The Arrow of Light insignia is the only Cub Scout insignia that may remain on the uniform once a boy joins a troop. It is not an item that may not be worn until then. Perhaps there was some confusion in that explanation.

Absolutely correct! Therefore, it is possible for a motivated Webelos 2 to earn his AOL as early as December of his 5th grade year, but not sooner, due to the requirement to be active in the den for at least 6 months since completing 4th grade. And once earned, I say the scout should wear it proudly!

Almost there with the correct information Acco40...According to both the Offical placement of Insignia and Uniform Inspection Sheet, it shows the AOL award bellow the left pocket and underneath it it has "(tan shirt)" typed in. It doesn't even show the AOL placement on a blue shirt. Another source for the correct information is the Webelos handbook. It is mentioned the same way on page 34. It is also brought up again on page 37 and states: "You'll wear your Arrow of Light Award below the left pocket as it is worn on the Boy Scout uniform." Hope that helps!

jens3sons

There is not much more for a young boy to do in Cub Scouts after his Arrow of Light. He has visited his troop; he has filled out his application and the way the current Boy Scout joining requirements on age and the age requirements for Arrow of Light mesh there is not much reason to stay in Cub Scouts. The AOL is not like the Eagle. The purpose of the AOL is to get the boy to move to Boy Scouting. While the Eagle is a goal and can be earned in their early teens, there is a lot left in Boy Scouting for Eagle Scout.

"The purpose of the AOL is to get the boy to move to Boy Scouting."

In my opinion that's one of Cub Scoutings "dirty secrets." Instead of creating an award that brings together all the fine things a Cub has worked on they go for a crappy brainwash/recruitment badge. I guess Cub Scouting will always be Boy Scoutings red-headed step brother.

it is worn in a different location as a Boy Scout (below pocket) than as a Cub Scout (above pocket)." (acco40)

Could you please clarify? What is worn above the pocket as a Cub? (FScouter)

Yea, my response does need clarification. While a Cub Scout (not many wear the AOL is the CS program because many receive the award right before crossing over) it is worn on the left pocket flap centered over the button (kind of "quasi" above the pocket).

• 3 weeks later...