"Feeder" packs

How many of you are associated with packs or troops that share the same number (Pack 123 and Troop 123)? Do these units share a special relationship or not?

My understanding is that, other things being equal, packs that share unit numbers with troops generally have a "farm team" type of relationship with the troop, especially if they are chartered by the same CO.

Our district is starting a new pack with the same number as the troop I'm with. The pack will meet at a local elementary school but will be chartered by our CO. I just want to make sure I don't step out of line by assuming we can move in and establish a special relationship with this new pack

In my district, we currently have 31 traditional Scout Troops and 24 traditional Cub Scout Packs.

Of these, we have 17 Troops/Packs that have the same units number all but 4 have the same CO. Almost all of these Packs are feeder to there Troop.

I also know that we have a few troops/packs that are feeder units but do not have the same number (some have the same CO).

If this is a new pack, who are you going to be out of line with?

I would try to find as many packs near you that do not have a relationship with a troop and develop as mnay of these as you can.

Our CO sponsors both a Pack and Troop with the same number. I guess the 'farm team' analogy is one way of looking at it. We definitely have a special relationship. The boy scouts are very involved with the pack...helping with special events (B&G, PWD, Halloween Party, etc etc), providing den chief assistance, appearing at pack and den meetings when called on (and sometimes just showing up for fun). The pack/troop leaders get together periodically to synch calendars and goings on, sharing resources, ideas and figuring out ways to create opportunities for the cubs to get some sense of boy scouting and the boy scouts to act as role models. As a result, we have an almost exclusive relationship. The troop reserves a spot for all pack webelos to crossover, and we probably get 95% or better of the crossovers (some going to other troops because of siblings in another troop). Consequently, we never recruit at the boy scout level - although arguably we have greater time invested in ensuring that we support the pack program as much as possible.

While this may be a 'district' startup (whatever that is), the fact that your CO is involved as the sponsor means you should have legitimate interests in the program. Call your COR and offer your services to help in the getting-started process. Maybe have an ASM join you in this to act as the troop's continuing pack liaison. There may be parents in your troop (with younger children) that would be interested in getting in on the ground floor of a new pack and act as pack/den leaders.

You would not be out of line. In fact, you will likely be the only one in line.

I'm asking because our troop has somehow gotten a reputation for recruiting outside of our territory (whatever that is). The truth is that we while have close but not exclusive ties to several packs (conducting cross-over ceremonies, providing den chiefs and the like), we accept cubs from all over who just visit and end up staying because they like our program.

The district has plans for starting this new pack at a school whose pack folded some yaers ago. The old pack was sponsored by the school, but because that is now verboten, they are looking for a new CO. I heard through the grapevine that they have recieved a favorable response from our CO. Presuming that we would be first in line to tie in with this pack, I have offered our services to the district exec. to help out with the round up.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Our Pack and Troop share a unit number and a CO but we do not have a very close relationship, though we are working on changing that. For a number of years nobody from the Pack joined the Troop (bad visit experiences), so our Troop has a sharp division between the handful of older (15-17 yo) boys and younger boys (11-12 yo), with nothing in the middle. The older boys have already been den chiefs, etc and the younger boys were too close in age to the Cubs to be effective in that position. 2 of the younger boys are going to take DC training and are looking forward to being able to come back and work with the younger scouts.

Michelle - P102

Our pack and troop share the same number, but different CO's. We're close only because we are the only units in our town. The Boy Scouts often come to CS events- B&G, Crossover, but lots of times it's only the SM, and not even his sons, who are scouts. We're trying to forge a better relationship with them, but we often feel like they don't want to waste their time with us little kids.

I would say you should absolutely try to form a good relationship with them. Better to start off on a good footing than try to fix hard feelings later.

Speakign for myself, we try to maintain a relationship with as many troops as possible. There are those that have a better leadership model or activity slant and we try to fit up the boys with where we think they may have the best fit. Whether or not they share the same number, it's who can offer the boys a good Scouting experience.

CMM

My pack is a stand alone one. There are two troops in our area that our boys feed into with very different leadership styles. Our boys visit both troops on different occassions and events and from those activities decide where they want to go. Sometimes this results in some healthy competition between the troops. I feel that every boy should experience several troops to make sure they feel comfortable and that will ensure that they remain in scouting.

We used to be a sister pack to a weak troop- a truly horrible relationship for both of us in many ways.

In general, the relationship is rather complex and depends on a lot of things- CO's expectations, unit leadership and their relationship, other units in the area, and more.

If I were you, I'd try to establish a strong ground-floor relationship. Become good friends, offer as much help as you reasonably can, and see what the two of you can accomplish together.

At least there is no baggage this way!

Our Cub Scout pack shares the same CO and number as a boy scout troop. In the two years I have been with this pack, I have only seen Boy Scouts at the cross overs. Last year none of our Webelos went into the brother unit. All choose to go to the same unit but outside of our CO sponsorship. There are no den chiefs in our 16 den pack.

You can request Den Chief's from any BS Troop. It does not have to be just from the one owned by your CO.

We currently have 2 Den Chiefs & could use 2 more. Our Troop's SM is not very pro Den Chief & most of the boys are not really interested. We are considering asking another local Troop (which has some boys from our school) if any of their boys are interested.

We encourage our Webelos to visit as many of the local Troops as possible. Each one has a different "feel" & what works for one boy maight not work for another.

Our pack and troop have a strong relationship. Several of the active leaders from each group have boys in both programs. At least six are registered leaders in both groups.

Here are some of the ways we work together:

- Troop provides Den Chief for 2nd yr Webelos (plan to extend this to younger ages over time, we're still getting started).

- Pack family campouts - several scouts who are family members help put on events.

- Pack Roundup - Several scouts and leaders come help coordinate, crowd control (for the kids), etc.

- Webelos overnighters - The troop invites Webelos to camp out with them during some campouts in the Fall.

- Scouting for Food - We do this together.

- Scout Sunday - both units invited to our CO's services.

- Pinewood Derby - Troop provides most of the labor.

- B&G - Several Boy Scouts will be there in support. Sometimes we do a color guard.

- Crossover - SM, SPL, TG, and several scouts will be in attendance and actively participate in the crossover.

- Summer Activities - Pack has a pool party, the troop is invited as guests. Pack has a rocket derby, some scouts come to help run it or participate.

So, as you see, we do lots of things to help each other out and build a relationship. It's worked pretty well.