convicted felon

One of our adult leaders has admitted to me that he is a convicted felon. He told me he has a felony dated back to 88' for criminal damage. He has been a great deal of help to us and works great with the kids, plus I would hate to lose a good leader.

Our DE has said that BSA WILL do background checks on all applicants. Does the CO have the right to choose their leaders or can BSA turn this leader down based on an old conviction.

BTW He has been with us for three years, and I took a look it was on all of his previous applications.

BSA does allow persons with felony convections to be registered leaders. First they must be upfront and put in on their application, finding out in the background check is not a good way to start. The age of the convection and the type of convection are the conditions that determine the acceptance. The charter partner signing off is important too. For a person in his thirties who got in to drunken brawl at 19 and committed felony assault, did his time and has been clean, would most likely be accepted. Any kind of crime against children or sexual assault would not be allowed. A DUI or automobile felony in the last few years would not make it either.

I had a committe chair/parent with an assault convection at 19 approved by both my CO and the BSA.

The Chartered Organization has a word as to who can be apart of their organization/unit. As NWScouter stated :"Any kind of crime against children or sexual assault would not be allowed." As per the Adult Application "Leadership Requirements" The applicant must possess the moral, educational, and emotional qualities that the Boy Scouts of America deems necessary to afford positive leadership to youth. The applicant must also be the correct age, and subscribe to the Declaration of Religious Principle, and abide by the Scout Oath or Promise and the Scout Law. BSA has the right of approval.

As per the application # 6b how was this anwsered as with 6c,6d,and 6e( did he tell the truth was he forthright) Was a reference check done by the CR or CC or organization head ? and did he sign the applicantion ?

If everything is on the square, then it is up to the COR/CC to approval or not, then BSA.

If the unit deems the applicant within the Leadership requirements and the rest of the unit membership (the most case the parents) , have no rejections, there should be no trouble in having a new adult aboard.

It seens as your choice has been made already

I like the guy, but I guess we should run it by the committee? Should talk to him about it before we bring it up? He seemed quite ashamed of his past actions when he told me about it. I suppose that the CC and COR may already know about it since it was on the adult application from last year and this year.

Chances are a felony conviction in '88 is going to be permitted by both the CO and the BSA (as long as it isn't against children). But I would always confirm with the CO first. They have the right to turn him down as a leader. I had a committee member that had a DUI about the same time period. We all know him and didn't think twice about approving him. BSA apparently didn't have an issue either.

Felony convictions can follow a young man his entire life. OUr past Unit Commissioner's son was involved in an auto thieft when he was 17. The other two boys went to trial and were no billed. He, being the good scout he was admitted what he had done, and plead guilty. He is now in his 30's and when he applied as a adult in our council he was turned down. And this was with the CO a letter to the Council stateing they were aware of the case and accepting him as a registered leader. It seemed a little harsh to me.

It is up to the charter representative,the your Scout Executive.

I didnt put it on my application, was called by the executive,on it. I explained that it was 18 years ago, I was 17 at the time & a felony by 18 dollars. I explained this to the charter rep, & was approved.

It is impossible to tell what the BSA's decision will be, however being that physical violence was involved I would not be surprised if caused him to be rejected. All you can do is to tell the truth and see what happens.

Amd yes if he does not put it on his application you should notify the CR or IH of what you know.

You said he has been a registered leader for 3 years & each year he has filled out a new adult application form & the felony conviction WAS listed on EACH application.

So what is the problem? Each year his application (with the conviction clearly spelled out on it) has been viewed & approved by your CC, CO and your council. The BSA has been doing mandatory background checks since 2003, so I am sure his was investigated & approved.

So, what is it you hope to accomplish by bringing it up to the entire committee? Are you trying to have him removed from his leadership role? Is it that you feel that everyone in the Unit should know about his problems 17 years ago? I do not understand your motivation here.

In my opinion, the people that should know about this already DO know. He was honest on his applications & was approved to be a Scout Leader by your Unit & Council leadership. I do not think he mentioned this to you so that you could spread the news all over town. It is no one else's business & should be kept between the CC, CO, & the SE. Leave it alone.

Hello Zipple,

I might suggest that you need to do nothing at this point. As I understand matters, the odds are that your council already is aware of this prior conviction through a records review and has made the judgement that it is no problem. The review of records has been going on for a fair period of time.

The judgement is made by the local council Scout Executive. I once had a SE tell me that it is amazing how many people have minor drug convictions on their records.

I would not create a problem until one exists. Your leader has been upfront with the situation, he listed the conviction, your sponsor knows about it, the council has the information and has had it for 3 years. If a problem arises, deal with it then. Until then, you consider the man an outstanding leader and treat him in exactly that way.

I have learned that up to 3 background checks per year have been made on me in just the past few years as each time a transfer is made or a change in position takes place, a new app is needed. So, the background checks are being made and have, as Neil pointed out, been done so for some time now. I would avoid discussing this person with the committee or other leaders; it is simply gossip at that point, though I understand that this is not your intent.

Why would the leader fill out an adult application 3 years in a row?

Was he transferring from 3 different units within the same Chartered Organization? Or did he change positions 3 times?

I filled out 1 adult application in 1996 for scoutmaster. I have yet to fill out another since then. Everything is on the recharter packet. Is this your Charter Organization's or Council's Policy for leaders to fill out an adult application each year?

If he's been a leader for 3 years, It sounds like the BSA approved him or else he would have received a letter in the mail with his registration refund.

Matua