BALOO Training?

Hello,

I've just taken over as Cubmaster of my son's pack after servinig the first year as a Tiger Cub Den leader. Can anyone tell me about BALOO traing? I see it is required for someone in the pack to have for an overnighter, and I don't think anyone has it in our pack. Although I had been out of Scouting for several years before my son joined up, I had been very active. Eagle Scout, ASM, MB Counseler, Camp Staff, National Camp School. What would be involved that perhaps I haven't come across already? Is this a one day course? A weekend trip? I know nothing about it.Thanks in advance to all of you.

Vince.

I as a Scoutmaster for several years, and have a lot of outdoor experience. I took Baloo training this spring because I'm working with a Cub Pack for which I'm Unit Commissioner, and wanted to be informed. Two leaders from the Cub Pack attended as well, to be prepared for out very succesful Pack overnight June 4-5.

There are quite a few special things to be aware of when camping with young boys, like Cubs. Baloo brings you up to speed on things to be aware of and regulations of such outings out of the pages of Guide to Safe Scouting.

In addition, there were a variety of pointers on how to do things simply and easily, and even which local businesses to hit up for contributions to the event.

I thought it was reasonable to require someone to be trained before holding this kind of event.

Also--- a large part of the reason many boys join Cub Scouts is the promise to go hiking and camping. Succesful units tend to be the ones that do this fairly often. The Pack I work with is planning a day hike in early October which will have a chance to do outdoor scourcraft at the destination we are hiking to. That event will be featured in our recruiting effort as well to help draw new boys into the pack.

Seattle Pioneer

BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation) Training has been around for a few years. It is usually held at a local council campground and is a one day event (our last one went from 8:30AM-4:30PM).

BALOO is REQUIRED in order to take your Pack camping. The course teaches how to plan & carry out a successful Cub Scout

Pack camping experience. National Camp School, while a wonderful thing, can NOT be a substitute for BALOO.

I would recommend that you have 2-4 (or as many as you can get) parents (preferably not leaders, we do enough) to take the training. That way you will never have to cancel a camping trip because the BALOO leader had to cancel.

BTW - Welcome!

Some of Baloo is filled with many DONT"S.

but all something we must hear as keepers of the liability that Scouts needs to make sure we don't run afoul of.(wow what horrible grammar)

One other thing it stesses well is that a Cub must have fun his first time out or you can sour him on camping for a long time to come.

I liked the suggestion that you get some parents to go.

Two parents in each den would be ideal. Then they could be the "cops" on what the limits are.

IMHO Baloo should be a required part of earning the coveted trained pattch for leaders and Cubmasters.

Getting others to attend with you is very wise. If something were to happen to your only BALOO trained person the trip would be done. No trained person, no camp. Also allows for others to be on same page for planning event and for safety 'cops'.

I am very fortunate that as a new CM, there are 7 BALOO or WLOT trained people in our pack of 20 boys. Talk about easy planning camping trips!! We are considering asking each den leader to take it as part of their commitment to the pack. I too feel it should be part of the requirements for knots. Not just CM though. Not our decision though, or is it? (new thread)

If you have webelos leaders they can take Webelos Outdoor Leader Training (WLOT). It is required for any overnighters with their den. Our council offers both on the same day running concurrently.

It is a great time of fellowship and learning. Have fun!!

k

littlek - While WLOT might be required by your council, that is a local council decision.

WLOT is NOT required by BSA National in order to take a Webelos Den camping. It is an extremely good idea, but not required.

Scout Nut- thanks for the clarification on that matter. I guess I'm just a little over zealous on training. When I see 'recommended' I tend to think 'required'. Thanks.

Funny that it IS required for the WDL knot!?