spend the night in a cave

I know as a cub we are not supposed to go caving, but I was wondering about having a campout in a cave? Is this allowed? We have some commercial caves close by that offers an overnight type thing for groups. Thanks for the input.

I don't think there is an issue with the caving aspect of these commercial ventures. This follows in the "novice" level of caving, which is generally okay for all ages.

The issue I've seen at these setups is whether you can provide the necessary privacy required by the G2SS. Also, for Cub Scouts, is this an appropriate environment for family camping. I'm not well-versed in the Cub scout camping rules, but some folks on this forum are. Perhaps they can shed some light on it.

It should be fine. There is a cave in WI that does this & I know that they have had Cub Packs. I believe you just kind of stake out your area so make sure you have one area for the boys & one for the girls.

Check with your council for any council specific rules & to see if it is an approved campsite area.

As ScoutNut says, its always a good idea to check with your local Council to see what they have to say about it (don't forget to fill out your tour permit!).

You may find that, if the cave operator is putting on the program and providing the food, you may not have to worry about whether or not the cave on the list of approved campsites.

This would be no different than camping in the outfield of a minor league ballpark after a game, or camping aboard a carrier or submarine. The reason Councils approve campsites is to ensure some basic requirements are met if you plan to go on a Pack Overnighter and you must provide your own program and food.

In the case of a cave campout, that wouldn't be necessary and so the approval probably isn't necessary either (but you still need a TP).

Still, it never hurts to ask your Council just to be on the safe side! And of course, if I'm wrong about the program & food, then all bets are off.

Fred G.