When is a boy too old for Cub Scouts?

Hi,

As far as I know, there really isn't a hard rule on when a boy must bridge from Webelos to Boy Scouts. I think though that the boy should cross over at least by the time he finishes 5th grade.

A boy can join boy scouts if:

-he as completed fifth grade

-or he is eleven

-or he is at least 10 and has earned the Arrow of Light

SWScouter

If he is going into 5th grade as a 2nd year Webelos he is fine, even if he is a year older than the others, until the end of 5th grade.

The good thing is, that even if, for whatever reason, he does not earn his AOL, he can still cross over to a Boy Scout Troop with his friends because he will be old enough.

Does someone in the Cub Pack want this Webelos out now?

No one wants him or any other boys out of Cub Scouts - I just want to make sure that the child is in the correct place. More specifically, even though the child may be entering 5th grade and be in the targeted age spread, emotional maturity comes into play. I'd rather see a scout remain in Cub Scouts longer than moving them into Boy Scouts when they don't have the maturity to succeed and will get very discouraged and possibly quit when scouting is something that can probably be a great help.

Well, once the boy turns 11, if the boy & his parents want to register him in a Boy Scout Troop, there is really nothing that you can do about it.

I would hope that the boy would want to finish out Webelos with the rest of his group. Getting the complete Webelos training & experience, & moving to a Troop with his buddies will be the best way to keep him in Scouting. However, you can't force him to. Ultimately it is the choice of the family.

What does the boy & him family want to do?

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

This particular's boys parents "aren't into being parents right now" (a quote from dad himself) so there is no guidance from that point. I just see the boy being more frustrated and leaving once he enters Boys Scouts. He will stay with the Den until they Crossover. I'm more concerned that he'll be enrolled in Boys Scouts and not be able to handle it at all. He cannot do anything independently and even when Dad is present he does nothing at all to interact with his son. He will likely go to a troop that I am going to be heavily involved in (Husband is the new SM) so I can see where this will end up.

I feel truly bad for this child but his behavior is terrible and immature. I know that at this point in his life, he can't help it - his behvior isn't willful

"This particular's boys parents "aren't into being parents right now" (a quote from dad himself)"

What exactly ARE they into?? I REALLY hope he did not make that statement where his boy could hear him! Is there a chance this could be a non-BSA Youth Protection issue?

Is this the Special Needs boy you asked about in another post? If it is then maybe you (if you are his Webelos Leader) could take him to visit your district's Special Needs Troop as one of his Troop visits. If not Special Needs, there might be a Troop out there that will be a better fit for him then the "regular" one the Pack usually feeds into. Help him (& the other boys) to shop around.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. I'll look into some of the things and have already tried some of the suggestions (to no avail). Thanks again.

I don't have any real data about this being a youth protection issue. There just isn't any connection between parent and child (this can be seem with the younger brother as well). At camp family night, the parent camp up and while everyone was hugging their scouts etc, this dad shook his son's hand, did not go on the WEBELOS II hike with his son, didn't sit with him at campfire and then packed him up and off they went. Very sad yet his immediate leaders are getting very tired of his behavior and the drain it has.

****Remember, NEGLECT can be a form of abuse! Maybe some good ole snooping around is called for, to see if there is any other possible things going on. Also, maybe make a little journal of the things you have witnessed, and what the father has said to you, marking the date and time, so that if ever questioned, or need to go to authorities happens, you have docummented proof with statements that are fresh in your head, because you took the time to write it down.

It just breaks my heart to hear something like the father's statement! I know we are all busy, but maybe some extra time spent with the boy would be good. I know there is a child we deal with that he was at my house about 3 afternoons a week to do homework and about once a week he was invited for dinner. It was a chance for me to show him some needed attention, and also to give him some of the things he needed...such as showing adults and peers respect and how a "family" works together etc. I saw such a turn around in him, that I never expected, and this was a boy who originally I thought I would have to talk to my son about "good friends vs. bad friends". Within a couple of weeks, he even told my son "I don't think you should talk to your mom that way", and another time "I think we should listen to your mom" =)

I really wish you the best of luck with this boy, and I will keep this boy in my prayers as well!

Jens3sons